6 replies to this topic

#1 s2ulk

s2ulk

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 08:23 PM

Hi all, the previous owner of my MPI cooper managed to damage every one of the sportspack arches somehow. The rear left actually has a hole on the back of it about the size of a 50 pence piece. Can anybody recommend the best way to fill that? I have used automotive body filler on various filling jobs before but there is nothing for it to attach to here (other than the edges of the hole). Would it make sense to fix a small patch of fibreglass matting behind the hole and then add filler on top of that?

#2 s2ulk

s2ulk

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 08:29 PM

Photo of the hole:

Attached Files

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,805 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 25 January 2024 - 09:24 AM

It would make sense to fix a small patch of fibreglass matting behind the hole and then add filler on top but I believe the original Sportpack arches are a flexible rubber type material, so you would need to check resin will bond ok and that any filler and paint is suitable for flexible surfaces. eg. As used on plastic bumpers, etc.

Edited by mab01uk, 25 January 2024 - 09:25 AM.

#4 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 25 January 2024 - 04:26 PM

I agree with the above, fibre glass then filler. 

Another option might be to try and get a second hand one off ebay, or even and damaged one and cut a repair piece out of that and glue it in

#5 s2ulk

s2ulk

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for the replies. Will probably attempt the fibreglass matting option first. Although before I do anything I think I will remove all the arches to check condition as I can see quite a few loose arch studs. It may be that replacement is easier for some of the arches but I have been keeping an eye on eBay/ Facebook marketplace and they seem to come up rarely. Is there anywhere else where it’s easier to source genuine Rover arches?

#6 mm man

mm man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 11:38 PM

Loads of videos online on how to repair a hole in plastic bumpers ….same principles for your wheel arches ….most modern methods include 2part glues / mesh . You can get flexible repair kits if required 

Done this loads of times in the past for my work 

Very simple to do with good results plus loads of kits available online 

Good luck 

#7 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 06:32 AM

If the rear of the panel section is hidden rather than using fibreglass it’s easier and quicker to bond small aluminium plates in place using a 2-part epoxy such as Araldite. This can then support a suitable filler.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users