Photo
- - - - -

Wing Mirror Issue

Best Answer robriz , 27 January 2024 - 05:28 PM

Ended up taking the window trim off and getting an adjustable to hold the nuts and unscrewed them and the new bracket is on now :)

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 robriz

robriz

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 02:02 PM

The bracket to hold the wing mirror has snapped. I've ordered a new bracket but I cant seem to unscrew the previous screws out. Its a rover mini equinox 1996 and I was just trying to unscrew it with a flat head screwdriver. I thought they would just unscrew with that, is there anything else you need to do to get them out?

#2 robriz

robriz

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 02:32 PM

Here's the bracket, I thought it would be as easy as unscrewing it and screwing the new one in

#3 robriz

robriz

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 02:38 PM

Heres the picture I don't think it uploaded on the last one

Attached Files

#4 wilsonch

wilsonch

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 03:05 PM

I have a Mpi and the wing mirror screws go into rivnuts fastened into the door.

If the screw keeps turning the rivnut probably isnt gripping anymore and spinning when you try and unscrew the bracket. you should be able to see if its a rivnut on the other screw you have managed to get out.

if the rivnuts spinning you may have to take the door trim off to get at it from the inside.

Edited by wilsonch, 27 January 2024 - 03:06 PM.

#5 mbolt998

mbolt998

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 03:13 PM

I have a Mpi and the wing mirror screws go into rivnuts fastened into the door.

If the screw keeps turning the rivnut probably isnt gripping anymore and spinning when you try and unscrew the bracket. you should be able to see if its a rivnut on the other screw you have managed to get out.

if the rivnuts spinning you may have to take the door trim off to get at it from the inside.

Can you get at it from the inside? I didn't see a way to do that. And if you can, why do they use rivnuts instead of proper nuts? I ended up cutting a small piece of metal out of the door on mine, welding captive nuts to the back of a new piece of metal, and then welding it in. But I am probably an idiot so don't treat this as advice :)

#6 robriz

robriz

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 03:37 PM

I've not managed to get any of the screws out, and there doesn't seem to be any access from the inside so it may have to be taking the trim off. I'm no good at this sort of stuff though so I'm worried if I mess about I'll end up I'll biting off more than I can chew

#7 wilsonch

wilsonch

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 03:58 PM

On the screw not attaching the bracket, 

can you turn the screw or is it seized?   If its turning, is the rivnut turning?  if its seized get some plusgas on it, leave it over night then try.

I've just looked at my door and there is very little access from the inside but you could possibly get a pair of long nose pliers in from the top if you lower the window, its worth a try.

#8 robriz

robriz

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2024 - 05:28 PM   Best Answer

Ended up taking the window trim off and getting an adjustable to hold the nuts and unscrewed them and the new bracket is on now :)

#9 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 28 January 2024 - 06:17 AM

Did you replace the ruvnut?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users