7 replies to this topic

#1 robson

robson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:49 PM

Just wondering how hard it is to remove the gearbox from the engine, with the engine still in the car, if this is actually possible? Couldnt find anything in the haynes :-

#2 pinch

pinch

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:03 PM

not possible mate. it should say in the haynes somewhere about removing the engine/box first as a complete unit, then splitting it once out.....

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:58 PM

It is possible in the car, but it's easier to take the engine out...

#4 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:28 PM

Really! I didn't know that. Anything other than the obvious you need to know when attempting it?

#5 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 20 November 2006 - 01:46 AM

wow thats news to me!! with all the parts you have to remove tho working in all those tight spaces it must be easier to remove the engine!!

thats a thought!! if the gearbox is removed what exactly is holding up the block??

#6 pinch

pinch

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:28 AM

must be a fun job doing it in the car tilting it in all sorts of directions, oil running everywhere!!! you can buy these engine support things that rest on the top of the inner wings/wing rails. this would prob get in your way somewhat!

Edited by pinch, 20 November 2006 - 09:28 AM.

#7 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:10 AM

Yes the engine needs supporting from above, and a 4 post lift helps as you realy need to get under the car. Not done it myself, but have seen it done. There is an advantage in doing it that way tho... you dont have to drain the water, uncouple the exhaust, remove the electrics, and anything else which prohibits the removal of the engine... and on the modern spi's/mpi's that may save a lot of heartache..

Basically, you support the engine from above, knock out the hubs and drive shafts, then remove the o/s engine mount and bell housing, This affords access to the flywheel and transfer case, which also need removing. Then it's just a matter of undoing the 11 bolts which hold the gearbox to the block, all of which are accessable from underneath the car, and the two bolts which connect the gearbox to the radiator bracket and n/s engine mount. There are two nuts which are above the diff housing which are a little interesting to get to, ooh... and of course the front engine steady, gear lever and exhaust bracket... The gearbox can then be dropped out the subframe ( take note to remove the speedo cable :- )

Edited by GuessWorks, 20 November 2006 - 11:11 AM.

#8 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:30 AM

well i'll be dammed!! sounds like a plan when you've got gearbox issues with a tpi as i hear they get regularly!! i wonder if rover employed that technique!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users