#1 Myminiproject

Myminiproject

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 February 2024 - 07:58 PM

Hi all,

Can anyone let me know how much the crankshaft clutch oil seal should be pushed in? There's a slight bevel and I've pushed it to be level with that bevel (huh! That rhymes :) see picture.

Also, is the dust cap supposed to not push all the way in? It sits at a slight gap of 1-2 mm from the clutch housing, see picture.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Attached File  IMG_8858.jpeg   35.83K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_8857.jpeg   31.65K   0 downloads

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 01 February 2024 - 08:10 PM

That seal location to me looks OK, as long as it's square, it should be fine.

I usually fold over a sheet of paper, tear it in 2, place a piece either side of the primary gear, then push the dust cover on to the paper slips, then pull them out.

#3 Myminiproject

Myminiproject

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 February 2024 - 11:26 AM

That seal location to me looks OK, as long as it's square, it should be fine.

I usually fold over a sheet of paper, tear it in 2, place a piece either side of the primary gear, then push the dust cover on to the paper slips, then pull them out.

Thanks as always Spider. Trying to imagine this paper folding exercise :) so the folded pieces go between the dust cover and the clutch cover/seal? In which case my dust cover is too far out and needs to be pushed further towards the seal, that is, the distance needs to be two paper thicknesses - hmmm, hope I got that right!

Afterthought: I guess by the time the flywheel clutch assembly is on and torqued up, the dust cover will be pushed into the right location.

MMP

Edited by Myminiproject, 02 February 2024 - 11:28 AM.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 02 February 2024 - 05:58 PM

Thanks as always Spider. Trying to imagine this paper folding exercise :) so the folded pieces go between the dust cover and the clutch cover/seal? In which case my dust cover is too far out and needs to be pushed further towards the seal, that is, the distance needs to be two paper thicknesses - hmmm, hope I got that right!

Afterthought: I guess by the time the flywheel clutch assembly is on and torqued up, the dust cover will be pushed into the right location.

MMP

So put another way, I set them at 2 paper thicknesses from the cover. I've never found any factory info on where to set them, but being a dust excluder and the dust being fine, I figure the closer, the better, in fact, I'm sure if they were fitted touching the cover, they'd be fine, but I also figure, if there's a big gap, then it's effectiveness would be greatly reduced.

I'll add though, I wouldn't fret too much over it, these only appeared in 1979, prior to that, none were fitted (or even available) and while I do fit these on every build, I can't say I can't say I've ever seen an issue from dust getting in to the seal either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users