9 replies to this topic

#1 v6matt

v6matt

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 05:00 PM

Hi all. So my 81 restoration is going well, if a lot slower that I'd planned for.
I'm at the stage where I'm attaching the outer wings to the new inner wings and against the new scuttle, all heritage parts.
I can get the passenger side to look perfect but the drivers side, the wing is very snug to the scuttle which isn't a major issue. The issue is, what's the best/correct way to attach the wing to scuttle part?
My original idea was to seam weld it to prevent future rot but I've read recently that's a big no!

So what's the best way? Tia.

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,903 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 03 February 2024 - 06:03 PM

On the underside of the wing there is a return, weld that to the lower section of the scuttle. 

#3 v6matt

v6matt

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 06:17 PM

I must admit, this is the answer I was expecting but not hoping for. Obviously it's done from the wheel arch side but I was worried that getting a grinder in there to tidy it up was gonna be a right pain ( no spot welder, just normal plug welding)
As for sealing the gap, would normal tiger seal be OK?

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 06:50 PM

I must admit, this is the answer I was expecting but not hoping for. Obviously it's done from the wheel arch side but I was worried that getting a grinder in there to tidy it up was gonna be a right pain ( no spot welder, just normal plug welding)

It depends on what you want to seal exactly. You hear so many arguements for and against and a lot of it is based around paint cracking.

Now there can be several reasons why this happens, the small bracket that joins the wing to the A panel not fitted, no weld on the lip we are currently talking about etc. The type of sealant itself. I use Aviation sealant because i'm in the industry and we use it everywhere. We have huge temperature extremes, flexing of the joints etc and providing the prep is done right we have no issues with cracking. Plus the sealant itself has anti corrosion properties as well.

Now you dont have to use a grinder, you can use a Dremmel or a die grinder which is what i use.

If you go down the Tigerseal route i would ensure there is plenty of paint / epoxy primer in the gap first, then i would force the sealant in as far as possible then  wipe it down as deep as possible then topcoat.

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 06:55 PM

81db0025704518338c5091726334ff0a6fa08d9d

1933c1136355c395b6e5bbce6753b2f457f58add

#6 v6matt

v6matt

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 06:58 PM

Small bracket? Are you referring to the closing bracket to stop the road muck reaching the scuttle?

Ah, I see what you mean, good idea. Is it something that's available or should I just make my own?

Edited by v6matt, 03 February 2024 - 07:01 PM.

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 03 February 2024 - 07:16 PM

Small bracket? Are you referring to the closing bracket to stop the road muck reaching the scuttle?

Ah, I see what you mean, good idea. Is it something that's available or should I just make my own?

Minispare etc sell them but i make my own, very easy to do.

#8 ac427

ac427

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 06 February 2024 - 11:58 PM

It depends on what you want to seal exactly. You hear so many arguements for and against and a lot of it is based around paint cracking.

Now there can be several reasons why this happens, the small bracket that joins the wing to the A panel not fitted, no weld on the lip we are currently talking about etc. The type of sealant itself. I use Aviation sealant because i'm in the industry and we use it everywhere. We have huge temperature extremes, flexing of the joints etc and providing the prep is done right we have no issues with cracking. Plus the sealant itself has anti corrosion properties as well.

Now you dont have to use a grinder, you can use a Dremmel or a die grinder which is what i use.

If you go down the Tigerseal route i would ensure there is plenty of paint / epoxy primer in the gap first, then i would force the sealant in as far as possible then  wipe it down as deep as possible then topcoat.

What is the sealant you use called?

#9 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 08:54 AM

What is the sealant you use called?

Ppg Aerospace PS870 B1/2

#10 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 07 February 2024 - 11:12 AM

you see lots of restos with this bracket missing too! best tool to grind down the welds in tight areas is a finger sander,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users