16 replies to this topic

#16 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 10:56 PM

It looks like the inner wing has no hole for the radiator which an L reg car would have, its possible that someone has changed the front inner wing but I would suggest its unlikely.

Probably one to avoid as neither an L reg mini or a later MPI are rare and its not particuarlly cheap, it would be interesting to know how it ended up like this.

#17 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,041 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 10 February 2024 - 11:22 PM

I would be very nervous about it. Wonder how it got to be such an oddball.

On the subject of the \VIN number on the front scuttle, there seems to be no answer to relying on that. It is an area of rust and if the scuttle panel has to be changed, what happens to the VIN number. When I had to do this to an MPI which my Grandson bought as his first road car I had to change the complete scuttle panel. Of course, the new one had no number stamped, so I asked a senior police officer friend, who is also a Mini enthusiast what was best to do. he said that there were three choices:

1.  Cut the piece with the existing number from the old scrap panel and cut and weld the number into the new panel.

2.  Get a set of metal stamps and stamp the number into the new panel before painting it.

3.  Leave the number off completely.

I did number 3.

None of those would help to identify whether a car was stolen or not or whether the bodyshell was the original or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users