8 replies to this topic

#1 v6matt

v6matt

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 February 2024 - 01:32 PM

So, I'm in the middle of restoring my 81 that previously had the seams mostly removed.
Now this question is probably going to kick of, but here goes. Has anyone successfully fully welded on the seam covers? It's just an idea for now but it's got to add strength so why ont?

#2 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 11 February 2024 - 02:15 PM

worth bearing in mind that if you weld the seam covers on it's high likely moisture will get into the internal cavity and start rotting them (..and the panels beneath..) which will create an even bigger problem down the line

#3 v6matt

v6matt

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 February 2024 - 02:18 PM

I have heard this and it's quite understandable. Just throwing the idea out there to see if it's been done.

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,903 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 11 February 2024 - 04:37 PM

Not heard of it being done as it’s a lot of welding thin steel plus as alluded to a hell of a water trap.

#5 kenyon

kenyon

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 02:59 PM

Hi V6matt,

I'm curious how you re-instated the seems as I have a problem on my restoration project where someone decided to flatten the drivers side windscreen / door seem but not the passenger side.  I have ground it out again but all I am left with now is a slit hole, did you make new seems and simple weld them on, if so how did you get a good finish after welding?

Thanks.

To answer your question I don't think its worth welding the seem covers on because of the moisture trap.

#6 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 03:26 PM

there's more than one way to skin this particular cat I'm sure but when I've been having to replace pieces of seam in a few places (not entire lengths mind you, only in small areas) I've been putting a fold into a piece of flat sheet (a L shaped cross section) and welding that in

as per this poorly drawn ms paint example

A.jpg

the top item you're trying to weld an inner corner which then becomes tricky to tidy up as you've alluded to

the bottom one you're cutting further back, inserting the piece with a fold, and then welding on the flat area away from the seam.  which means you can get at it with a flap disc, finger sander, or the edge of a cutting disc, leaving the inner corner perfectly smooth

I suppose (although I've not done it myself) I would probably make 2 L shaped pieces, then plug weld them together as they would be if they were part of the original panels, then weld that in to each side.  which for me seems less of a faff than welding in each side, then plug welding it afterwards, 

obviously where there is a curve to the panel or where cutting the whole thing out means you lose geometry then you'd do that in small sections.  somewhat like how I did the rear edge of my parcel shelf not long ago

for curves, like around the wheel arch, you can fold the piece then use a stretcher/shrinker on one side to gradually curve it to suit (see post #176 https://www.theminif...ild-998/page-12)

Edited by stuart bowes, 12 February 2024 - 03:39 PM.

#7 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 06:44 PM

So, I'm in the middle of restoring my 81 that previously had the seams mostly removed.
Now this question is probably going to kick of, but here goes. Has anyone successfully fully welded on the seam covers? It's just an idea for now but it's got to add strength so why ont?

If I was going to do this I would bond them on with some form of adhesive sealant like this: https://www.eurocarp...10ml-upl.tig_nb

If you fill the seam with it and then put it on (I would still use the clips but new ones) and then clean off the excess the cavity in the seam should in theory be sealed up and no moisture can get in.  If you ever need to get them off though then it will be a nighmare and you will almost certainly have to destroy them to get them off.

#8 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:23 PM

If I was going to do this I would bond them on with some form of adhesive sealant like this: https://www.eurocarp...10ml-upl.tig_nb

If you fill the seam with it and then put it on (I would still use the clips but new ones) and then clean off the excess the cavity in the seam should in theory be sealed up and no moisture can get in.  If you ever need to get them off though then it will be a nighmare and you will almost certainly have to destroy them to get them off.

as stated, the car has been mostly de-seamed so there's nothing to clip the covers to..

#9 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,727 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 February 2024 - 09:24 PM

Get a windscreen pillar cut,unpick the skins from both and change them over.Steve..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users