9 replies to this topic

#1 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 13 February 2024 - 03:21 PM

I'm in the process of fitting opening rear quarter lights to a shell that had fixed windows, are the 4 locating screws for each side screwed directly into the metal or are plastic inserts used to prevent metal to metal contact and possible rust? I'll be using stainless steel screws so acutely aware there might be future rust problems. 

The shell has round nylon inserts in various places, rear companion bins etc, and also small square ones behind the door cards for the door hardware, although I certainly have no intention of filing 8 square holes.

Remarkably, despite having repaired and painted a few Minis over the years I've not done one before with opening rear quarter lights!

2ZHLci2.jpg

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,419 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 February 2024 - 04:20 PM

They were direct, but anything you want should work. The screws aren't really holding the windows, they're holding the hinges & catch in the right place to hold 'em.

Any rust issues are likely to be under the seal along the bottom body seam.

#3 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 13 February 2024 - 09:15 PM

Thanks Ethel, good point about rust developing on the bottom body seam. I think I’ll give both sides a good dose of Dynax before finally fitting the seals.

I’ve managed to find a bag of spare nylon clips in my parts stash, these are the ones that are used to fit door cappings on some of the later models. A few 5.5mm holes later and I think it’s where it needs to be …

jXRgjA7.jpeg

Radw0dA.jpeg

#4 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 13 February 2024 - 09:35 PM

Just make sure that the window doesn't touch the body at the bottom (or anywhere else), i've seen a few over the years where the bottom of the window has gone rusty because the factory fitted the window a bit low and its rubbed through the paint.

#5 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 14 February 2024 - 01:41 PM

When I took mine out for restoration, they were just held in with self tappers direct into the metal. I refitted them the same way but dipped the screw threads in cavity wax to help prevent electrolytic corrosion.

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,419 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 02:34 PM

Actually,

Looking at your piccies makes me realise another consideration. An insert will alter the spacing from the body, which could be good, or bad, for the fit of the windows themselves over the seal.

#7 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 03:11 PM

Actually,

Looking at your piccies makes me realise another consideration. An insert will alter the spacing from the body, which could be good, or bad, for the fit of the windows themselves over the seal.

I haven't actually measured them but at a guess the flanges on the inserts are around 0.5 - 0.7mm thick, hopefully not noticeable. 

Edited by Bobbins, 14 February 2024 - 03:12 PM.

#8 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 03:48 PM

I was wondering that as well when I was considering whether to suggest rivnuts

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,419 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 09:02 PM

It could be wise to err on the side of caution 'n try just screws 1st. They can be tight at the hinge end, especially if you have new rubber.

Easier to biggerer 'ickle 'oles.... 

#10 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 09:27 PM

Too late ….

oRQ2PdY.jpeg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users