#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 17 February 2024 - 07:22 PM

The smart motorways computer safety system shut down across much of the country, leading to a six-car pile up after a vehicle broke down in a live lane. The Telegraph has revealed....

A whistleblower has told how National Highways’ systems “crashed”, which disabled the radar technology that detects stranded vehicles, leaving control room staff unable to close lanes to traffic, set speed limits and electronic signs or use CCTV cameras.
The “catastrophic failure” culminated in a pile-up on the southbound M6 on January 19th when a car was left a “sitting duck” after breaking down on the inside lane, which used to be a hard shoulder. The vehicle failed to reach an emergency refuge area on the “all lane running” stretch of the motorway before being hit repeatedly by other vehicles between junctions 3a and 3 near Coventry.
The National Highways whistleblower, speaking on condition of anonymity, said: “We had no stopped vehicle detection systems, no CCTV and no control of signals and signs.
“The fact no one was killed is pure luck.
“Thankfully, God was watching over them, because we certainly weren’t.”
A National Highways spokesman said the “unplanned outage” lasted three hours, with the six-car collision resulting in only “minor injuries”.
This latest system failure and subsequent multiple collisions would not have come to light without the whistleblower risked contacting The Telegraph.
The Dynac software, which controls gantry signs and signals – including the “red X” which closes lanes to traffic – as well as the stopped vehicle detection radar, shut down between 5.25pm and 8.30pm. Control centres in the North West, Yorkshire and North East, West Midlands, East Midlands and South West went offline, leaving only the South East and East operational. In 2021, The Telegraph revealed how Dynac had been nicknamed “Die Now” by staff because it was “prone” to bugs and shut-downs.
Claire Mercer, who has campaigned for the Government to scrap all smart motorways after her husband, Jason, died on the M1 in 2019, said it was only a matter of time before numerous lives were lost in a single “preventable tragedy”. She said: “How many more terrifying systems failures and live lane breakdowns are taking place that we do not hear about?
“National Highways tells motorists to move left in an emergency. But, this driver on the M6 moved as far left as possible, but was left like a sitting duck because there was no hard shoulder.
‘All smart motorways should be scrapped’
Simon Williams, the RAC’s head of policy, said: “It’s frightening to see just how fragile our so-called smart motorways are. When lives depend on technology there should be fail-safes in place to prevent this kind of incident from happening.
“This proves that safety technology and emergency refuge areas can never replace the hard shoulder. We once again urge the Government to act before it’s too late.”
https://www.telegrap...wn-m6-coventry/

#2 Ska car

Ska car

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Local Club: Who'd want little ol' me?

Posted 17 February 2024 - 07:59 PM

Let's not forget fixing potholes are still not being fixed properly. Not because it can't be done properly, it's just the people who do it, do not do it properly.
And yet they are trying to achieve smart motorways and driverless cars.
Is there a fascination with the future or summit?
Who makes decisions like this?
Us?

#3 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 17 February 2024 - 09:09 PM

This is the world we live in nowadays.

Mini owners manual used to show you
Setting points, changing wheels, charging battery's.

Now it says do not drink the battery acid.

#4 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 18 February 2024 - 10:13 AM

On the toll roads here they have companies contracted to clear all breakdowns. Twice I have broken down and not been detected, I had to phone them up. One time they couldn't even find me on the cameras.

The detection is meant to be automatic but clearly didn't work. Probably a similar control system.

Edited by 68+86auto, 18 February 2024 - 10:14 AM.

#5 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 18 February 2024 - 01:59 PM

On the toll roads here they have companies contracted to clear all breakdowns. Twice I have broken down and not been detected, I had to phone them up. One time they couldn't even find me on the cameras.

The detection is meant to be automatic but clearly didn't work. Probably a similar control system.

Probably a case of the modern cameras could not recognise a Mini or Moke and probably applies to the camera operators as well.

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,900 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 18 February 2024 - 02:04 PM

Not backing these motorways ( the worst thing ever to happen)I have to say you are also reliant on us, the road users.

Pay attention especially on these type's of roads and IF the system is actually working get the feck out of the lane that has a bloody great RED CROSS against it. It’s there for a bloody reason ie one of us poor souls has fallen foul of having no hard shoulder to pull onto to when we suffer a breakdown.

No system is 100% infallible and therein lies the rub, we are supposed to be capable thinkers, able to use our common sense and don’t be wholly reliant on technology, also pay attention when driving.

And if you do breakdown get out of the car and climb over the barriers. Yes it might be raining ( have a coat or a small umbrella in the car) but better to be wet than dead.

The thing is now, the Gov will never revert these motorways back to having hard shoulders as the cost will be prohibitive.

#7 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 February 2024 - 07:30 PM

Yes always get out of the car and climb over the barriers wherever possible even on a hard shoulder.

However there have been cases where the barrier is too high to climb over especially for an older person (see link below) or barrier is hard up against a steep embankment wall or fence.

Also when pulled over to the left in a live lane as recommended it means there is little if any room to open the nearside doors.

Getting young children, old or disabled passengers out quickly in a live lane is also not easy.

There has been a tragic case where a young women got out of her broken down car in the dark on an unlit smart motorway, hopped over the barrier to safety and fell to her death due to the sheer drop beyond the barrier which had no warning signs.

Smart motorways: Woman unable to get over barrier before death crash:-

https://www.bbc.co.u...kshire-62810553

Edited by mab01uk, 18 February 2024 - 07:33 PM.

#8 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 February 2024 - 05:54 AM

Probably a case of the modern cameras could not recognise a Mini or Moke and probably applies to the camera operators as well.

Possibly the case but I don't think so. The first instance they didn't seem to have trouble locating me once I phoned up. So it is down to the automatic system not detecting something wrong. The tow truck drivers were aware of the fact that me being broken down wasn't detected and therefore a long response time.

I would assume that the cameras detect any object at all (the same people also deal with debris) and also simply look for number plates. I am surprised they don't just have someone sitting in another country watching the cameras.

Why is it assumed that I was in a mini  :D

The second time I wasn't. Even once they found me (couldn't on the cameras) they sent the tow truck in the opposite direction which is an extra say 30 minutes to turn around.

Edited by 68+86auto, 19 February 2024 - 05:55 AM.

#9 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 February 2024 - 06:03 AM

One of the breakdown services here sends a message to stay in the vehicle with seatbelts on. Obviously if practical the other side of a barrier might be safer. They need to give ONE generic solution for people who can't think. The amount of people I see broken down and just standing around is crazy.

#10 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 19 February 2024 - 06:16 AM

I know it is a serious topic and situation but my comment was made in jest as this is the Mini Forum

#11 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 February 2024 - 06:25 AM

I know it is a serious topic and situation but my comment was made in jest as this is the Mini Forum

I know. I just thought my comment about minis would be a funny response, many people think minis are unreliable.

Edited by 68+86auto, 19 February 2024 - 06:26 AM.

#12 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 19 February 2024 - 06:45 AM

No way are they unreliable. You can guarantee that they will give you hours of fun and cursing in the man shed.  :D  :D

#13 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 19 February 2024 - 06:48 AM

On a serious note I will quite happily come off a smart motorway and use an alternative route. Even if it makes the journey slightly longer.

#14 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 19 February 2024 - 09:44 AM

Smart Motorways are absolute insanity, I'm still gob-smacked that anyone thought they were a good idea.

We don't have them in Scotland, and on the occasion when I'm in England and come across them again, I get shocked all over again!

I wouldn't want to ever drive any classic car on one, but its not safe even in a large modern car.

#15 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 19 February 2024 - 10:13 AM

By far, the overwhelming majority of cars that I see, from my Mini, on the hard shoulder of motorways are less than ten years old.
By no means, a conclusive proof that the risk is greater in a modern car, but, at least, an indication that a “classic car” is not more likely to break down on a motorway.
Even on the way to an L2B on the M23, the numbers are still not overwhelmingly higher for Minis than “modern” cars.
Poor basic maintenance, particularly of tyres, seems to be the principal cause.

Edited by Quinlan minor, 20 February 2024 - 07:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users