Steve Harris

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Local Club: Mercia Minis

Posted 22 February 2024 - 06:09 PM

Hi All.

I need a replacement log book for my 1979 mini as the old one has hidden itself .

Been on the gov.uk site and started filling in the form and it has declined application due to "other factors"

I am right in thinking the VIN number is the one on the welded on plate on top of the front panel, aren't I ????

It's not been taxed for some time but NOT sorned, could this be the reason ??

What I am tearing my hair out about is that there doesn't give any way of continuing.

It just says "SEND US  THE OLD LOG BOOK".   

Can anyone  suggest a way round this please.

Regards.  Steve Harris

#2 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 22 February 2024 - 06:22 PM

Vin = Car No.

Plate, not welded, will look similar to this.

Attached Files

Edited by Quinlan minor, 22 February 2024 - 06:23 PM.

#3 Steve Harris

Steve Harris

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 06:25 PM

Thanks.

I'm putting the wrong one in.  I thought it would only be the immovable, welded on plate.

Will try a bit later and let you know

Thanks again

#4 Steve Harris

Steve Harris

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 07:21 PM

No good, still comes back with unable to continue on-line.

Double checked the numbers.

Thanks anyway

Regards. Steve Harris

#5 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 07:36 PM

Your VIN  usually has17 digits,if you have any old MOT certificates it will be on them,

As long as you are making no changes to the vehicle details the ON LINE application process is usually straightforward, but it is the DVLA you are dealing with so no one knows " the secret of the black magic box", good luck.

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 February 2024 - 08:22 PM

1974 "Model Year" to 1980 "Model Year" – English Built Mini

The general format for the Chassis Number/VIN for these cars is:

X-K2S1N-###-A

Full details here:-

https://www.minimani...sed_#1974to1980

On later 1980's Minis the chassis number plate is fitted to on the left hand/off side front inner wing panel and was also stamped into the rear bonnet rain channel under the rubber sealing strip above the master cylinders. Not sure if this had come in earlier for a 1979 Mini but worth a check?

The VIN/Chassis number was often slightly wrong on log books/V5 eg. 'S' often input by DVLA as a '5' for instance. If you get one number or letter wrong your request for a log book will be rejected by DVLA.

To check/get the exact VIN number ask a friend in the motor trade with full HPI check access and they will be able to find the VIN number recorded on the DVLA computer database from your vehicle registration number.

Edited by mab01uk, 22 February 2024 - 08:35 PM.

#7 Steve Harris

Steve Harris

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 08:23 PM

The VIN on this has 14 digits including a dash. I am now defiantly putting the correct numbers/letters in.

This car was bought new by my parents and I have all the paperwork that came with it, including mots', and service bills.

No VIN numbers on the old mots' but same as I have on the service stuff.

I have found a form on the gov.uk site that you can fill in to request various vehicle details so I've filled that in and sent it to the department that THEY specify.

The form is not good though.  And when you type stuff in it won't let you put a space between the words so it is very difficult to read.

Will keep trying and come back if and when I get any results.

Thanks to all for your time so far.

Regards.  Steve Harris

#8 Steve Harris

Steve Harris

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 08:26 PM

IN addition, yes mab01uk, my vin appears similar to your example.

#9 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 February 2024 - 08:52 PM

Sending a clear photo of the VIN plate with your application to the DVLA should help, worst case they send out an inspector to check the car exists and confirm the number and that you are the owner. As said a motor trader can confirm the VIN as shown on the DVLA computer database via a full trade HPI vehicle check on the reg number.

If not already done, once you get a new V5 log book you can also apply at a main Post Office to have the taxation classification changed by the DVLA to 'Historic' tax and MOT exempt as your Mini is over 40 years old.

Edited by mab01uk, 22 February 2024 - 09:01 PM.

#10 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 10:00 PM

Isn’t there option to get the VIN from the reg number, from someone in the trade, using the Experian (or similar) system?

At least that way the OP could find out what was originally printed on the V5C and worry about correcting it later, if that is indeed necessary.

Edited by beardylondon, 22 February 2024 - 10:05 PM.

#11 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 23 February 2024 - 05:34 PM

May have dropped off dvla database and will require to be re registered.

Depends how long it has been off the road for.

#12 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 08:22 PM

If you go to the website below, put in your reg number and search you VIN will appear in the URL at the top of the page.  You will need to scroll across to it and it will say VIN=?????

https://chipex.co.uk/

Just tried it on my 1959 MK2 Jag and 1962 Sprite and both were correct.

As mentioned above its highly likely that the issue is that the DVLA have incorrectly recorded some of the details of your car like a 5 as an S or vice versa or a U as a V or the - is missing or something like that.  I had one car where they had a 5 down as a 6 and it causes absolute chaos because I applied based on the number of the car which was one digit out and even though the engine number aligned and I had a heritage cert with the reg number on it the DVLA took some convincing.  Once I had applied for the correct chassis number the DVLA then wouldn't let me apply for the incorrect number if you see what I mean, I understand that its easier to get a chassis/vin number changed on a log book if you already have the logbook in your name.

#13 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 09:03 PM

Brilliant, works for my car, nice find!

If you go to the website below, put in your reg number and search you VIN will appear in the URL at the top of the page. You will need to scroll across to it and it will say VIN=?????

https://chipex.co.uk/

Just tried it on my 1959 MK2 Jag and 1962 Sprite and both were correct.

As mentioned above its highly likely that the issue is that the DVLA have incorrectly recorded some of the details of your car like a 5 as an S or vice versa or a U as a V or the - is missing or something like that. I had one car where they had a 5 down as a 6 and it causes absolute chaos because I applied based on the number of the car which was one digit out and even though the engine number aligned and I had a heritage cert with the reg number on it the DVLA took some convincing. Once I had applied for the correct chassis number the DVLA then wouldn't let me apply for the incorrect number if you see what I mean, I understand that its easier to get a chassis/vin number changed on a log book if you already have the logbook in your name.

#14 Steve Harris

Steve Harris

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 05:40 PM

Sorry I've not been back to report.

Tried contacting DVLA as I mentioned but no reply so far.

I did not SORN this mini when it went off the road some years ago so I think that might be the problem.

If I add the registration to any sites , like chipex, then they come up with its details and on "Vehicle smart" I have a full detail of it.

On the DVLA site I checked "check vehicle tax status " and it comes up with all the details, still saying untaxed.

Maybe I need to get a "SORNED" status before I can go further.

I have found a phone number on their site that says I can SORN it by phone so I will try that .

Regards.

#15 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 06:02 PM

Did you look at the URL (in address bar) on chipex, comes up like this:

Screenshot-2024-02-29-at-17-59-58.png

VIN obviously at the end of the URL

Edited by beardylondon, 29 February 2024 - 06:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users