#1 WanaGo

WanaGo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 06:47 AM

Hello,

So I have started working on my 2nd mini, its a 1978 Morris 1000. 

Drum brakes in the front.

It has ball bearings in the front currently which I am replacing. They are the later type, without a spacer.

What is the best way to go about removing them, as you cant just push the spacer over to the side to get to the race and bang them out.

The first hub, I basically destroyed the cage with a screwdrive and drift, and managed to push through the balls on one of the bearings to push the 2nd one out. It was a right mess and surely is not the best way to go about it.

I have looked on Youtube, but all the vids I have found have been the ball bearings with the spacer, which loooks to be much easier. I have not found one where they are the later ball bearings without the spacer.

Just looking for pointers on what the best method is to remove them, for when I do the 2nd hub.

I have a press, but that hasnt been any help for this due to not being able to get to anything due to no spacer.

I did happen to take a picture of the hub before I started hacking at it, just to show 100% what I have, no spacer etc.

Thanks

Attached Files

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 25 February 2024 - 07:04 AM

Once they have done a few miles, you'd be very lucky to get them out in one piece. The tube on the drive flange burrs up and then the bearing becomes stuck.

#3 WanaGo

WanaGo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 07:57 AM

Once they have done a few miles, you'd be very lucky to get them out in one piece. The tube on the drive flange burrs up and then the bearing becomes stuck.

OK thanks, so having to smash them out with a screwdriver etc is the 'best' way? Just feel very wrong, lol.

My flange was stuck in the inner races, but pressed out ok, It was getting the bearings themselves out which wasnt fun.

Edited by WanaGo, 25 February 2024 - 08:22 AM.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 08:25 AM

OK thanks, so having to smash them out with a screwdriver etc is the 'best' way? Just feel very wrong, lol.

My flange was stuck in the inner races, but pressed out ok, It was getting the bearings themselves out which wasnt fun.

I prefer to put the hubs in the press and push on the tube of the drive flange, then knock out the outer race in the usual way.

You'll likely find the drive flanges are karput too.

#5 WanaGo

WanaGo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 08:36 AM

I prefer to put the hubs in the press and push on the tube of the drive flange, then knock out the outer race in the usual way.

That is what I did, put the hub in the press and pressed the flange out. Its how to knock the outer race of the bearings out which is what I am asking about, as you cant get to them given there is no central spacer to just push to the side to get to them. So the inners are completely butted up next to each other, and the inner and outer are 'jointed' due to the balls. I couldnt get anything in there to separate the inners, even a drift on an angle etc. So that is why I decided to smash through the race and bearings - which worked, but it was just messy and seemed wrong.

The flange looks OK. It has a few marks on it, but no burrs as such. A new bearing would not just slide on, but a very light rub with some 400 grit, took off any high spots, and the new bearing slides on nicely. 

Does that make sense, and is it clear what I am asking? Just trying to work out the best way to get the ball bearings themselves out, if there is no spacer. Whats the best method? I only have 1 to go, and then it will be tapered roller bearings going back in, but its good info to know.

Attached Files

#6 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 25 February 2024 - 09:52 AM

I’d just get a punch or screwdriver in there and press on the edge of the opposite inner bearing. It’ll likely pop out the inner race and the ball bearings but there isn’t really any other way to do it

#7 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 11:07 AM

With this bearing arrangement you have to use the correct style of puller.

Facom tools U23 style puller, i am sure other makes are available, is one of the better tools for this application.

I realise this tool is a specalised tool and not every workshop has one but you can make a one off by modifying a set bolt head, profiling the bolt head to fit your bearing, as per the tool shape, then rig up a spacer tube and crossbar and putting a nut on each set bolt pull the bearing out of the hub knuckle.

Hope you understand my explanation, and as always use the correct grade of set bolt and wear suitable PPE when pulling bearings.

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 25 February 2024 - 05:48 PM

Some info from the Metro manual.

rGGqxqF.jpg

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 06:17 PM

That is what I did, put the hub in the press and pressed the flange out. Its how to knock the outer race of the bearings out which is what I am asking about, as you cant get to them given there is no central spacer to just push to the side to get to them. So the inners are completely butted up next to each other, and the inner and outer are 'jointed' due to the balls. I couldnt get anything in there to separate the inners, even a drift on an angle etc. So that is why I decided to smash through the race and bearings - which worked, but it was just messy and seemed wrong.

The flange looks OK. It has a few marks on it, but no burrs as such. A new bearing would not just slide on, but a very light rub with some 400 grit, took off any high spots, and the new bearing slides on nicely. 

Does that make sense, and is it clear what I am asking? Just trying to work out the best way to get the ball bearings themselves out, if there is no spacer. Whats the best method? I only have 1 to go, and then it will be tapered roller bearings going back in, but its good info to know.

OK, got it. Usually, the bearings hang on the tube of the Drive Flange. To get this style of bearing out other than using the puller weef mentioned, what you've done here is all you can do ('burst' the bearing apart).

#10 WanaGo

WanaGo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 06:53 PM

Great - thanks very much everyone.

I'll carry on then. Much appreecaited for all the replies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users