KobukKobuk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Local Club: Mighty mini

Posted 28 February 2024 - 01:56 AM

Hi. everyone

I want to replace it with this adjustable lower arm, but the original lower arm bush is stuck to the lower arm suspension pin and can't come off. I searched YouTube, but there was no video of lower arm bush removal. What I tried was using a gear puller, but it didn't work. If anyone has experience solving this problem or has a useful link, please let me know.
​

#2 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 28 February 2024 - 03:49 AM

Are you talking about the metal inner part of the bush? Try turning them with locking pliers or similar.

#3 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 28 February 2024 - 06:29 AM

Have a look at this link shows how to build the whole subframe. Sure this will give you a better understanding of how it all goes back together.

https://youtu.be/Wwx...uywkx8sq6D-WEAj

I would also say if it is so stuck that you can not get it off... replacement would be the best option I suspect..

All good stuff keep going with it..

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 28 February 2024 - 07:05 AM

Metal bush on the pin? Grinder.

#5 KobukKobuk

KobukKobuk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 08:15 AM

Are you talking about the metal inner part of the bush? Try turning them with locking pliers or similar.

I tried holding the lower arm pin with vise pliers and turning it, but it only turned a little.

i need a better way.

#6 KobukKobuk

KobukKobuk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 08:19 AM

Have a look at this link shows how to build the whole subframe. Sure this will give you a better understanding of how it all goes back together.

https://youtu.be/Wwx...uywkx8sq6D-WEAj

I would also say if it is so stuck that you can not get it off... replacement would be the best option I suspect..

All good stuff keep going with it..

I've seen these replacement videos, but most of my Mini is still in good condition. And building a new subframe will break my bank account. But thanks for the advice.

#7 KobukKobuk

KobukKobuk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 08:27 AM

Metal bush on the pin? Grinder.

Grinding and breaking the lower arm is a last resort. Before that, I would like to try the method of continuously drilling into the gap between the bushes to loosen them and remove it. I'll post if I'm successful.

#8 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 09:26 AM

blowtorch till it expands slightly?

I would just use a grinder as well probably 

presumably when replacement was suggested I think they just meant new pin not whole new subframe (the video was just for info on how to remove and replace the pin)

https://www.minispar...sic/2A4362.aspx  ? unless I've misunderstood which pin you're talking about

Edited by stuart bowes, 28 February 2024 - 09:27 AM.

#9 KobukKobuk

KobukKobuk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 10:03 AM

presumably when replacement was suggested I think they just meant new pin not whole new subframe (the video was just for info on how to remove and replace the pin)

https://www.minispar...sic/2A4362.aspx  ? unless I've misunderstood which pin you're talking about

In fact, the simplest way is to cut and dismantle the lower arm pin. However, I contacted you because I wanted to solve this problem right away without cutting it first. If i order a pin, it may take a few more days.

#10 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 10:14 AM

when we say grinder we don't mean cut right through the pin ?  just cut through the offending metal collar.  or gradually shave it thinner until it pings off depending on your preference

or blowtorch to expand and get on the grips again see if that loosens it off

Edited by stuart bowes, 28 February 2024 - 10:15 AM.

#11 Lplus

Lplus

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 10:18 AM

In fact, the simplest way is to cut and dismantle the lower arm pin. However, I contacted you because I wanted to solve this problem right away without cutting it first. If i order a pin, it may take a few more days.

It isn't clear whether the lower arm pin is stuck in the lower arm and thus won't come out of the subframe, or you got the pin and bush inner tubes out of the bush and subframe and now just want the metal tubes off the pin.

#12 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 11:09 AM

good point, I read it as the latter apologies if that was wrong

Edited by stuart bowes, 28 February 2024 - 11:10 AM.

#13 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 11:30 AM

When you have dismantled it, have a look at the mini spares offset bushes.

#14 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 28 February 2024 - 11:34 AM

It sounds like the problem is the pin can't be removed from the arm or subframe. That's why I originally asked but it wasn't answered.

#15 KobukKobuk

KobukKobuk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 12:07 PM

It isn't clear whether the lower arm pin is stuck in the lower arm and thus won't come out of the subframe, or you got the pin and bush inner tubes out of the bush and subframe and now just want the metal tubes off the pin.

One side of the pin was removed from the subframe by unscrewing the nut and I would like to replace it with a new adjustable lower arm, so I just want to separate the lower arm from the lower arm suspension pin. The problem is that the lower arm bush is stuck and it is not easy. I'm attaching a photo. I didn't draw it very well, but please refer to it.

Attached Files

Edited by KobukKobuk, 28 February 2024 - 12:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users