#16 KobukKobuk

KobukKobuk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Local Club: Mighty mini

Posted 28 February 2024 - 12:14 PM

It sounds like the problem is the pin can't be removed from the arm or subframe. That's why I originally asked but it wasn't answered.

Yes, the lower arm suspension pin does not fall out due to the tightly closed bush in the lower arm. So, I would like to know the know-how to remove the bush.

Edited by KobukKobuk, 29 February 2024 - 02:41 AM.

#17 KobukKobuk

KobukKobuk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 12:16 PM

When you have dismantled it, have a look at the mini spares offset bushes.

There are bushes and lower arms to replace. The problem is that the existing bush does not fall out.

#18 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 12:18 PM

Ah so it's not just the metal collar it's the whole arm with bush as well

still though if you don't want the arm itself, just angle grind it off

you can definitely get the arm and the rubber off  before you're worrying about damaging the pin

gets a bit more careful after that but at least then the pin comes out and you can work on it in a vice more easily and take a bit of time over it 

failing that you'd have to fashion some sort of puller but why bother with all that effort if you're putting new arms on anyway

Edited by stuart bowes, 28 February 2024 - 12:47 PM.

#19 KobukKobuk

KobukKobuk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 12:22 PM

when we say grinder we don't mean cut right through the pin ?  just cut through the offending metal collar.  or gradually shave it thinner until it pings off depending on your preference

or blowtorch to expand and get on the grips again see if that loosens it off

I will try as you advised. My mini has been hanging on the jack for too long. I hope it gets resolved quickly.

Attached Files

• Attached File  hhh.jpg   42.82K   4 downloads

Edited by KobukKobuk, 28 February 2024 - 12:26 PM.

#20 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 12:27 PM

It's probably obvious but if you are trying the blowtorch do it without setting fire to the car or melting the brake line or whatever .. I'm sure you already considered these risks but it never hurts to say it anyway

#21 Lplus

Lplus

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 12:28 PM

blowtorch till it expands slightly?

I would just use a grinder as well probably 

presumably when replacement was suggested I think they just meant new pin not whole new subframe (the video was just for info on how to remove and replace the pin)

https://www.minispar...sic/2A4362.aspx  ? unless I've misunderstood which pin you're talking about

In fact, the simplest way is to cut and dismantle the lower arm pin. However, I contacted you because I wanted to solve this problem right away without cutting it first. If i order a pin, it may take a few more days.

It isn't clear whether the lower arm pin is stuck in the lower arm and thus won't come out of the subframe, or you got the pin and bush inner tubes out of the bush and subframe and now just want the metal tubes off the pin.

One side of the pin was removed from the subframe by unscrewing the nut and I would like to replace it with a new adjustable lower arm, so I just want to separate the lower arm from the lower arm suspension pin. The problem is that the lower arm bush is stuck and it is not easy. I'm attaching a photo. I didn't draw it very well, but please refer to it.

good illustration.  I think in your place i would run a drill into the rubber bush at the nut end and try to destroy the rubber so the inner pulls through to the other side.  I'm assuming the bush is the two part bush so the "front" part of the bush would then come out of the arm.  Even a single part bush should come out if you can destroy the rubber at the nut end of the arm since I think the arm is tapered inwards from both ends.  Simply heating the arm end until the rubber melts would also work I suppose.

After that the inners would need to be cut/ground off the pin.

ah, ninja'd by others  - yes, simply cutting the arm to pieces should release the pin so the inners can then be cut/ground off it.

Edited by Lplus, 28 February 2024 - 12:30 PM.

#22 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 28 February 2024 - 12:41 PM

One pin with bush still on and one with it removed.

OOhV6pP.jpg?1

#23 KobukKobuk

KobukKobuk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 12:41 PM

Ah so it's not just the metal collar it's the whole arm with bush as well

still though if you don't want the arm itself, just angle grind it ott

you can definitely get the arm and the rubber off  before you're worrying about damaging the pin

gets a bit more careful after that but at least then the pin comes out and you can work on it in a vice more easily and take a bit of time over it 

failing that you'd have to fashion some sort of puller but why bother with all that effort if you're putting new arms on anyway

thank you for your attention. First, I'm going to try the easy method you and Lplus showed me. If it fails, both lower arms will be destroyed by the grinder. ;)

#24 KobukKobuk

KobukKobuk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 12:46 PM

presumably when replacement was suggested I think they just meant new pin not whole new subframe (the video was just for info on how to remove and replace the pin)

https://www.minispar...sic/2A4362.aspx  ? unless I've misunderstood which pin you're talking about

In fact, the simplest way is to cut and dismantle the lower arm pin. However, I contacted you because I wanted to solve this problem right away without cutting it first. If i order a pin, it may take a few more days.

It isn't clear whether the lower arm pin is stuck in the lower arm and thus won't come out of the subframe, or you got the pin and bush inner tubes out of the bush and subframe and now just want the metal tubes off the pin.

One side of the pin was removed from the subframe by unscrewing the nut and I would like to replace it with a new adjustable lower arm, so I just want to separate the lower arm from the lower arm suspension pin. The problem is that the lower arm bush is stuck and it is not easy. I'm attaching a photo. I didn't draw it very well, but please refer to it.

good illustration.  I think in your place i would run a drill into the rubber bush at the nut end and try to destroy the rubber so the inner pulls through to the other side.  I'm assuming the bush is the two part bush so the "front" part of the bush would then come out of the arm.  Even a single part bush should come out if you can destroy the rubber at the nut end of the arm since I think the arm is tapered inwards from both ends.  Simply heating the arm end until the rubber melts would also work I suppose.

ah, ninja'd by others  - yes, simply cutting the arm to pieces should release the pin so the inners can then be cut/ground off it.

Thank you for your good comments.
I'm going to try the method you and stuart bowes suggested first. I hope for good results.

#25 KobukKobuk

KobukKobuk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 12:51 PM

OOhV6pP.jpg?1

OOhV6pP.jpg?1

How did you remove the rubber bushing?

#26 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 08:36 PM

I’d say you have options, but each will involve some level of destruction!

1 - Use a blow torch to soften/melt the rubber of the bush. This will likely leave the inner metal sleeve behind which can be ground off.
2 - Use a grinder and cut the bottom arm to free it from the bush. Then cut the rubber of the bush away and then the inner metal sleeve can be ground off.
3 - Re-assemble the lower pin and tighten the nut just enough that the pin engages on the subframe so it won’t rotate, but doesn’t nip the bottom arm bush. Then lift and lower the bottom arm to free it on the bush. Disassemble again grind off the inner metal sleeve from the pin

#27 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 28 February 2024 - 10:51 PM

Disconnecting the tie bar and separating the arm from the hub will make it a lot easier. I have never had to resort to a grinder or drill to remove even the rusty inner from the pin.

Has the pin moved at all?

Can you punch it through (without damaging the thread) enough to pry it out with a pry bar under the head?

#28 KobukKobuk

KobukKobuk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 05:13 AM

Disconnecting the tie bar and separating the arm from the hub will make it a lot easier. I have never had to resort to a grinder or drill to remove even the rusty inner from the pin.

Has the pin moved at all?

Can you punch it through (without damaging the thread) enough to pry it out with a pry bar under the head?

The tie bar is already separated. I plan to drill the rubber bush and use WD40 to loosen it and remove it this weekend.

#29 KobukKobuk

KobukKobuk

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 05:18 AM

I’d say you have options, but each will involve some level of destruction!

1 - Use a blow torch to soften/melt the rubber of the bush. This will likely leave the inner metal sleeve behind which can be ground off.
2 - Use a grinder and cut the bottom arm to free it from the bush. Then cut the rubber of the bush away and then the inner metal sleeve can be ground off.
3 - Re-assemble the lower pin and tighten the nut just enough that the pin engages on the subframe so it won’t rotate, but doesn’t nip the bottom arm bush. Then lift and lower the bottom arm to free it on the bush. Disassemble again grind off the inner metal sleeve from the pin

detailed! thank you.
First, I plan to drill the rubber bush and spray WD40 to move it. If that doesn't work, I plan to use a torch. If everything doesn't go as planned, you'll eventually have to cut off the end of the lower arm.

#30 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 03:09 PM

If you can, use a proper penetrating fluid rather than WD40.  PlusGas is a good one.
You can even make your own with a 50/50 mix of Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and acetone.

(For clarity, WD40 as a brand do a penetrating fluid, but it is in different cans to the normal WD40)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users