3 replies to this topic

#1 mattbeddow

mattbeddow

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 06:17 PM

I'm in the process of stripping my '89 City back to (mostly) bare metal to find all the hidden rist etc that needs sorting out.
I'm note sure how long it'll all take so I'm keen to get a primer over the bare metal fairly quickly to avoid any surface rust issues, but I've been left thoroughly confused by all the different options.

Reading this forum (and others) it seems like there's 1k, 2k (epoxy?), red oxide, etching and anti-corrosion/zinc primer?

Which one should I use on bare metal? Some things I've read say etch primer to get a good bond with the base metal, but the chemist in me says the zinc needs to go down first for the anti-corrosion to work?

From what I've read, both seem to be compatible with most types of paint thereafter?

Thanks!

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,901 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 28 February 2024 - 08:14 PM

Epoxy primer is water resistant and will help to protect your bare metal areas until you finish.

I used a 1K Aerosol Epoxy on Paddy and it worked very well. I also have a 2K Epoxy which i have stashed for a rainy day.

When i sprayed him i used a Surfacer Primer Octoral PF131 on a recommendation from Ben_O on here. It aint cheap but worked very well.

#3 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 28 February 2024 - 10:59 PM

This'll make it simpler. DO NOT use any 2k product without a (very expensive) air fed mask setup. If you are doing this at home it is almost guaranteed that you do not have the air volume or filtration required to run an air fed mask. The Isocyanates are the issue, they can't be smelt until it is too late.

Here is a short bit of information: https://www.mig-weld...aint-safety.htm

Edited by 68+86auto, 28 February 2024 - 10:59 PM.

#4 mattbeddow

mattbeddow

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 08:41 AM

Thanks, yes I'd read the warnings about 2k and wasn't planning on using them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users