#1 m1n1

m1n1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Local Club: I'm unsociable

Posted 28 February 2024 - 11:23 PM

I need some advice, fitted a new rear half panel a couple of years ago.  Measuring the window aperture today and its almost where it need to be, 36.4cm in the middle and 35.7ish on the sides (supposed to be 36.6 and 36 or so i read)   I made these wood blocks before i cut the old one out, and used them to weld the new one in.   Well they almost fit now, perhaps i messed up whilst welding.   The new rubber fits in the aperture well but the gap for the fillet strip is really closed tight - i fitted the window quite easily but the gap is still tight.     Do you think i need to file some metal  away to make the fillet strip gap easier? or is just how new window rubbers are these days?     

Attached File  DSC_2424.jpg   66.03K   1 downloads

Attached File  DSC_2425.jpg   70.5K   1 downloads

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 28 February 2024 - 11:27 PM

Looks fine to me. When you fit the filler the screen will sit out which it is not now by the looks of it.

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 29 February 2024 - 10:36 AM

The fillet strip has to be a very tight fit to prevent leaks. Helps if you have you got a good fillet strip fitting tool and use a suitable lubricant which wont damage the rubber or contain salt (eg. washing up liquid causes corrosion due to salt content)

This thread may also help:-

https://www.theminif...-silver-fillet/

#4 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 29 February 2024 - 01:29 PM

When I had my windows fitted by Auto Glass, the fitter used glass cleaner as the lubricate, which I though was quite a good idea as it won't damage anything .

I would try and fit the strip and make sure it all goes together, you will need a good window fitting tool (Mini Spares do them, or you will get one on Ebay) It is better to find out now there is and issue before you are all in paint. The finishing strip was a tight fit as it is expanding the rubber seal. Good luck

#5 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 04:03 PM

it can also help if you have someone push on  the window from the inside to open up the groove a little.

Although you'd be better finishing your painting before fitting the window ....

Edited by Bobbins, 29 February 2024 - 04:04 PM.

#6 m1n1

m1n1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Local Club: I'm unsociable

Posted 01 March 2024 - 09:12 PM

Thank you all for your advice.   I've now taken the window out and am almost ready getting the whole car painted.  13 years off the road! I miss it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users