8 replies to this topic

#1 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 01 March 2024 - 03:51 PM

Any functional/performance difference between these two fans?
Both plastic 11 blade items.
12G1305 has narrow blades, the 12G2129 has wider, slightly tapered blades.

Attached Files

#2 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 01 March 2024 - 05:38 PM

The 12G2129 is the more efficient so will push a little bit more air, if you have a cooling issue the one to use. How much difference their really is is hard to know

#3 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 02 March 2024 - 06:19 AM

More to do with the fitment and angle of the blades. Says on the fan. Engine side.. etc...

Could set up a wee test on a drill see what air displacement you get with each.

#4 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 02 March 2024 - 10:58 AM

A plastic fan that old has the potential to be brittle and shatter. There’s nothing worse on a hot day than having a disintegrated fan

I’d suggest a new one if possible

#5 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 02 March 2024 - 01:11 PM

I have never seen a genuine side mounted original classic Mini fan fail, even when the granny has been revved out of them racing. I suspect, but I do not know, that the original ones are made of a kind of "nylon / plastic" , and they do seem to be pretty indestructable.

The later / last of them, and certainly non genuine ones, could well be cheap plastic that will go brittle and snap over time.

If possible I would use genuine 2nd hand over new cheap copy any day.

#6 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 02 March 2024 - 04:05 PM

I have never seen a genuine side mounted original classic Mini fan fail, even when the granny has been revved out of them racing. I suspect, but I do not know, that the original ones are made of a kind of "nylon / plastic" , and they do seem to be pretty indestructable.

The later / last of them, and certainly non genuine ones, could well be cheap plastic that will go brittle and snap over time.

My thoughts exactly!
The wide blade fan pictured is an old genuine item, it has a cut in one blade and various bits of damage to others. It regularly used to see 8500rpm but never failed. I replaced that fan about 15 years ago with a new wide blade one, but I doubt it's genuine. It's has so far proved reliable at high rpm though.
The narrow blade fan has exactly the same blade pitch and width at the root of the blade as the wide blade fan, but it narrows towards the tip rather than widen.
Not sure if these fans were ever factory fitted to minis or whether they were fitted to Austin 1300 which had a large radiator.

#7 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 02 March 2024 - 07:28 PM

I had a genuine plastic fan grenade itself last summer, wasn’t fun!

Edited by Midas Mk1, 02 March 2024 - 07:29 PM.

#8 Lplus

Lplus

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 03 March 2024 - 10:45 AM

My thoughts exactly!
The wide blade fan pictured is an old genuine item, it has a cut in one blade and various bits of damage to others. It regularly used to see 8500rpm but never failed. I replaced that fan about 15 years ago with a new wide blade one, but I doubt it's genuine. It's has so far proved reliable at high rpm though.
The narrow blade fan has exactly the same blade pitch and width at the root of the blade as the wide blade fan, but it narrows towards the tip rather than widen.
Not sure if these fans were ever factory fitted to minis or whether they were fitted to Austin 1300 which had a large radiator.

According to the minspares exploded parts diagrams they were both fitted to minis at various times, but the 12G2129 is the one supplied now.

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 04 March 2024 - 06:18 PM

I and loads of others have loads of genuine factory ones 'back in the day' loose blades. Happened to me on the first trip I did in my almost new Moke in 1980 (it was only 2 months old) pulling on to Broken Hill in the middle of summer. I replaced it with a steel one and never looked back.

Maybe I'm deaf ? but I don't find much noise difference between the steel fans and the plastic ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users