11 replies to this topic

#1 Paul_tomo86

Paul_tomo86

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 03:51 PM

Hi guys, I'm not sure if anyone can help me out here, I have an 87 city with a 1275 engine, I have owned this car a few months now, this was bought so I could have an on the road mini to go with my project that I need to start 😁 anyway the car has been amazing so far other than having to change a few bits and bobs like wheel bearing, fuse box etc, today while the sun was out I decided to take the car to asda to get a few things as I was across the car park about to select reverse the whole gear stick left it's home in the floor where I like it being and was in my hand in the middle of the car, after a short panic I realised that the large screw in O ring (not sure on its actual name I'm sorry) had unscrewd allowing the short shift to fully come off, so I put it back in screwed it back tight then done my little shop, on my drive home I can not get 2nd gear all I get is the gear grinding noise, I got home and 1st put my shopping away obviously but that was only so I don't get killed by the wife πŸ˜€ then I have gone back out taken the shifter out again and tried fitting but no joy with 2nd, every other gear is fine including reverse, before the asda incident the gear box has been fine nice and tight with no noise or crunching, so this can only be due to the stick coming fully out, has any body got any ideas on how to fix this problem or any pointers on what to check etc, I was going to jack her up and have a look under but it's just started raining so this might be a tomorrow job now

Thanks in advance, I will also go over and introduce my self with pics of both cars when I can post more

Cheers Paul

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,947 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 05 March 2024 - 05:07 PM

What shift type is it?

#3 Paul_tomo86

Paul_tomo86

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 05:14 PM

I'm not sure if I'm honest, it was on the car when i got it, can't see anything written on it but it is all covered in grease, it has a purple section connected to the floor pan if that means anything

#4 Paul_tomo86

Paul_tomo86

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 05:27 PM

I have just been out and cleaned it off, there is nothing written on the gear stick, it was fine before this came off in my hand so I know it must be something to do with this, I'm going to get it in the air tomorrow and check the linkage etc

Attached Files

#5 Paul_tomo86

Paul_tomo86

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 05:31 PM

Could this ball on the end be what's missing?

Attached Files

Edited by Paul_tomo86, 05 March 2024 - 05:31 PM.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,938 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 05 March 2024 - 05:46 PM

Yes, the small ball has come off.

It'll likely be in the shifter housing, but it maybe in a few pieces.

#7 Paul_tomo86

Paul_tomo86

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 06:20 PM

As soon as i googled it I spotted the ball missing well i have orded a new one so will still jack up tomorrow and see if I can recover the broken bits, thanks for your help guys, having 2 of these little buggers I'm sure I will be on here loads hahaha

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,947 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 05 March 2024 - 07:42 PM

Don’t forget to rescue and replace the missing C clip that has also fallen off.

get under the car and take the plate off and remove the parts that have fallen in there.

mark the front of the plate as the can be fitted either way round but only one way is correct.

#9 Paul_tomo86

Paul_tomo86

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 09:35 PM

Brilliant thank you

#10 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 March 2024 - 11:52 PM

It's an aftermarket quick shift. The purple bit you can see is an extension that raises the stick's ball pivot so you get more movement below it from less movement above. They can cause trouble if the extension is  loose on the original housing - something that was impossible with the ordinary stick & no extension. Can't really tell from the photo, but  the extension looks a tad "snug" in the  carpet etc. It really needs to move with the gearbox, or the floor can pull on the selector mechanism.

#11 Paul_tomo86

Paul_tomo86

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 March 2024 - 01:53 PM

It's an aftermarket quick shift. The purple bit you can see is an extension that raises the stick's ball pivot so you get more movement below it from less movement above. They can cause trouble if the extension is loose on the original housing - something that was impossible with the ordinary stick & no extension. Can't really tell from the photo, but the extension looks a tad "snug" in the carpet etc. It really needs to move with the gearbox, or the floor can pull on the selector mechanism.

Thanks for that, it looks snug on the photo with the centre console there but it does stick up around 1/1.5 inch above the floor panel,

Edited by Paul_tomo86, 06 March 2024 - 01:53 PM.

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 March 2024 - 11:13 PM

It's more fore & aft, as the engine tries to turn itself in the opposite direction to the wheels. I may well be bothering about nothing, but it's impossible to tell how solid whatever it is the purple bit id poking through is from a photo..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users