Photo
- - - - -

Spi Starting Problems!

Best Answer VinnyS , 20 April 2024 - 07:07 PM

Hi All,

Quick update!

All sorted and the car is running great!! Turns out I had a broken vacuum pipe and a bad connection at the crank position sensor (if anyone knowns where to get replacement plug clips that would be great!!) and the alternator was just a coincidence! 

Thanks for all the advice and support!

Vinny

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 VinnyS

VinnyS

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 03:30 PM

Hi all,

My 95 Spi has recently started to misfire on starting before cutting out after a few seconds. After this it won't start for a couple of hours just turn over with out firing.

So far I've changed the spark-plugs, ignition coil & ignition leads but to no avail! 

I've also checked all the vacuum hoses running from ECU to the fuel trap and beyond, but all seem to be intact. I'm also pretty confident that the fuel pump is working as I can hear it prime and run before it cuts out. 

Any help or suggestions on what I need to check next would be greatly appreciated. (Or if someone could recommend a mini mechanic in Northern Ireland that would be great too!!!!!!)

Thanks

Vinny

#2 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 07 March 2024 - 04:07 PM

Sounds like a fuelling problem.

#3 VinnyS

VinnyS

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 03:39 PM

Update!

I managed to get it started and it started chugging / misfiring almost immediately, but if I rev it hard it runs fine until I take my foot off the accelerator. Once idling it started misfiring / chugging until it cuts out. 

Initially I was thinking a fuel problem too, but now I'm not sure.................

#4 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 09:55 PM

I’ve had similar. Have you got fuel at the injector? My money is on O2 or coolant temp sensors, or the wiring too them. Have you got a diagnostics/code reader and voltmeter? Start by testing the wiring.

And just because it’s injection doesn’t mean it has to be a sensor. Don't forget to check all the basics that would stop and car run.

Edited by humph, 10 March 2024 - 11:14 PM.

#5 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 10 March 2024 - 10:56 PM

I can't help with SPI specifics but the first test even if it doesn't sound likely is to test the starter/battery system. Disconnect the ignition system somehow, coil primary side? Then measure the battery voltage whilst cranking for about 15 seconds. In order to eliminate the leads you could do this at the starter terminal and use the engine as the ground test point. Any result under 9.6v is a fail.

The battery should be charged first.

Edited by 68+86auto, 10 March 2024 - 10:57 PM.

#6 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 11 March 2024 - 10:04 AM

have you tried restting the stepper motor? this sets idle point, this needs doing if battery has been disconnected. also injector cleaner with new fuel

#7 VinnyS

VinnyS

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 07:32 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies! 

So a bit of an update! It turns out the alternator was knackered and it looks like this was the root cause of the car not starting.

So now we have a new one fitted the it has now decided to not turn off when the ignition is switched off. The only way to turn it off is to disconnect the alternator!!!!!! 

Que banging head against wall!!!

Would anyone have any ideas what might be causing this new problem??

Thanks again

Vinny

Edited by VinnyS, 29 March 2024 - 07:33 PM.

#8 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 02 April 2024 - 04:05 PM

It sounds like either the charge light( have you changed it to LED) or a faulty regulator. Try it without the charge light bulb fitted.

#9 VinnyS

VinnyS

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 10:24 PM

It sounds like either the charge light( have you changed it to LED) or a faulty regulator. Try it without the charge light bulb fitted.

I haven’t changed the bulb, but I’m banking on perhaps a faulty diode. After doing a trawl of some other posts there is (or supposed to be) a one way diode between the alternator and the light in the dash. I’m hoping that by putting a new one in the circuit it will solve the problem for now. I’m hoping to spend the next winter doing some restoration work and as the wiring is questionable at best I might invest in a new front loom.

In the mean time I’m hoping this will get me through the summer!!

V

#10 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:12 PM

Any diode is probably inside the alternator

#11 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 04 April 2024 - 05:05 PM

Removing the bulb and seeing if the engine turns off will tell you if the fault is in the alternator or in the loom

#12 VinnyS

VinnyS

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 07:07 PM   Best Answer

Hi All,

Quick update!

All sorted and the car is running great!! Turns out I had a broken vacuum pipe and a bad connection at the crank position sensor (if anyone knowns where to get replacement plug clips that would be great!!) and the alternator was just a coincidence! 

Thanks for all the advice and support!

Vinny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users