4 replies to this topic

#1 sam138

sam138

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 11:43 PM

Just wondering if someone could help please, I’ve been running in my 1380cc newly rebuilt engine for around 200 miles now
( including the initial camshaft bedding in process). I’ve slowly been building the revs up to 3k.

Would it now be a wise point to take the car to a rolling road for tuning or do I need to complete around 500 miles as many suggest ? I’m running an AFR gauge etc so managed to get the car running fairly well however I don’t want to run the risk of not having it set up soon.

Edited by sam138, 08 March 2024 - 07:11 AM.

#2 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 08:54 AM

Personally I run the engines fairly normally after initial warm up or in other words I don`t treat them like a new engine but don`t beat them hard either.

Slowly building the revs up to 3000 sounds a bit worrying to me as the engines need short periods of load and overrun to bed the rings in correctly or you`ll end up with glazed bores, low power and oil drinking so don`t be afraid to buzz along through the gears.

My last 998 rebuild I managed only about 100 miles before temptation took over as the engine just wanted to go and it`s a lively little thing and the oil stays clear on the dipstick for the first 2000 miles.

#3 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 02:18 PM

200 miles should be more than enough to knock the edges off and highlight any problems/issues

if not already done so, i'd change the oil before putting it on the rolling road

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,972 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 March 2024 - 05:35 PM

I'd suggest getting at least 600 to 1000 miles on it before a Dyno / Rolling Road session.

While after about 300 miles, it's safe to start using more revs and load it actually takes around 3000 miles to fully run in, ie seal to the best it's going to seal, but with plain cast iron rings, by around the 600 mile mark, it'll be 98% the way there. If you have it done prematurely, the engine characteristics will change when it's fully run in and so the carb tune won't be quite right (depending on how fussy they get with it).

#5 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 08 March 2024 - 09:17 PM

With modern honing and piston ring technology, you'll bed them in within about 50 miles of varying load and rpm. The biggest thing is load. You need to get pressure in behind the rings to force them against the wall whilst the honing peaks are tall, otherwise you can risk glazing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users