Photo
- - - - -

Using Caliper Bolts To Measure Castor Angle

Best Answer Spider , 08 March 2024 - 05:17 PM

Yes, they are parallel and I have made such a 'device'. It's a simple angle bracket on to which I have a magnetic protractor to put on it and directly measure the angle off. I found this tedious and made another similar 'adaptor' that goes over the upper and lower ball joint nuts. Being spaced further apart, it's a wee bit more accurate too.

With these gadgets, there's no need to check it 200 either side, though, that's a good idea to check after setting it in the straight ahead position.

The 200 (or you can use any angle) steering angle each way is used when all you have is Camber Angle Measuring gear. Using a formula you can then work out what the Castor Angle is.

The formula here is    Caster0 = (180 / 3.1415) x (( Camber 10 -Camber 20) / (Turn-angle 10 - Turn-angle20))

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 alpder

alpder

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Local Club: MCR

Posted 08 March 2024 - 11:14 AM

Does anyone know if the caliper bolts on the disk-brake type of hub are exactly parallel with the "king-pin" (swivels) on the hub? (Parallel only in side-elevation, obviously.) Reason I ask is that - on some cars - it's easy (and cheap :-) ) to accurately measure the angle of the caliper bolts and so know the caster angle, because the two are parallel. Can I do the same on a Mini, or are the calipers fixed at some random angle onto the hub?

Edited by alpder, 13 March 2024 - 09:07 AM.

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 March 2024 - 01:30 PM

Interesting idea, not sure I'd trust Rover to be that accurate if it wasn't essential.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,948 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 08 March 2024 - 02:14 PM

The ball joints are at different angles to each other. 

I can’t see how what you are suggesting would work on a Mini set up.

what other cars does it “work” as it is hard to understand what you are measuring.

#4 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 02:50 PM

as I understand it (not fully to be honest) the correct method is turning the wheels 20 degrees each way, taking camber measurements at each, then doing some maths to work out castor

presumably you want some way of measuring camber anyway, so use that same equipment and work out caster at the same time I guess

#5 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 04:49 PM

Deleted now I’ve read the question properly!

Edited by GraemeC, 09 March 2024 - 09:21 AM.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,938 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 March 2024 - 05:17 PM   Best Answer

Yes, they are parallel and I have made such a 'device'. It's a simple angle bracket on to which I have a magnetic protractor to put on it and directly measure the angle off. I found this tedious and made another similar 'adaptor' that goes over the upper and lower ball joint nuts. Being spaced further apart, it's a wee bit more accurate too.

With these gadgets, there's no need to check it 200 either side, though, that's a good idea to check after setting it in the straight ahead position.

The 200 (or you can use any angle) steering angle each way is used when all you have is Camber Angle Measuring gear. Using a formula you can then work out what the Castor Angle is.

The formula here is    Caster0 = (180 / 3.1415) x (( Camber 10 -Camber 20) / (Turn-angle 10 - Turn-angle20))

#7 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 05:31 PM

So just to clarify, a theoretical zero degrees castor would be the two caliper fixing bolt centres at 90deg to the floor?

And the same question for the ball joint pin locations I guess (to confirm that you could do some fairly accurate setup before assembling hub and putting a wheel on)

Or would you need the wheel on and weight on the wheels.. I'm thinking that would affect camber but not sure about caster

Having 2 ways to measure and double check can't be a bad thing (or having an extra option depending on what gear you have available)

Edited by stuart bowes, 08 March 2024 - 05:37 PM.

#8 alpder

alpder

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 07:01 PM

So just to clarify, a theoretical zero degrees castor would be the two caliper fixing bolt centres at 90deg to the floor?

That's what I'm hoping. So if you want (say) 3 degrees castor then - with the wheels straight-ahead and the car on the ground - a simple angle-gauge can measure the angle between (a long straight-edge laid on the floor) and (a line between the centres of the heads of the caliper bolts). That should measure 93 degrees (i.e. sloping backwards from vertical) to get the desired 3 degrees.

It's a quick job to design a 3DP gizmo which will clip onto the caliper bolt heads and extend their line towards the floor for ease of measuring. And any cheap digital LCD angle-finder will measure the angle between this and the straight-edge on the floor accurately enough. The only other ingredient needed is a nice flat garage floor. And, lucky me, I have one of those.

I've read of this being done on Mk3/4 Cortina, for example. But it all depends on the orientation of the caliper bolts to the line through the swivels when viewed side-on. There's no engineering reason it should be parallel. But engineers don't add complexity without cause so they'd probably have simply made them parallel unless something got in the way and forced the calipers to be positioned further round the disk. And, even then, if we knew what that angle was...

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,938 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 March 2024 - 07:08 PM

And the same question for the ball joint pin locations I guess (to confirm that you could do some fairly accurate setup before assembling hub and putting a wheel on)

Or would you need the wheel on and weight on the wheels.. I'm thinking that would affect camber but not sure about caster

Having 2 ways to measure and double check can't be a bad thing (or having an extra option depending on what gear you have available)

Yes. There is a small error (academic really) measuring from the Ball Joint Nuts, but in my view, the important thing with castor in particular is not to get it to the nth degree, but getting both sides the same is probably more important, so rather than outright accuracy, repeatability is more important.

I'll just add here though,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It's years since I bothered to use this gauge.

These days, with adjustable front ends, where it comes to Castor Angle, I start off with the Rods set at stock lengths, then dial in more until I get what I'm after by driving. Turning both sides the same keeps it all in the ball park, then when it has the right feel, I'll keep dialing in one side only until I start to feel it pull that way. Then I'll back it off 1/2 a turn at a time (keeping count here !) until it pulls the other way. Finally, I'll set that side 1/2 way between the 2.  This is WAY more accurate in a final over all setting than any zillion dollar machine can ever give as it takes everything in to account and doesn't just look at one angle in total isolation.

#10 alpder

alpder

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 08:15 PM

I am firing up Fusion360 right now :-) I fancied using the caliper bolts as reference because they're already virtually vertical (side-to-side). Whereas using the balljoints the gadget has to remove the king pin inclination - more faff than I'm willing to take just to get a reasonable idea of side-to-side differences and whether I've got 1 degree or 5 degrees caster at the moment. (Given that the car gives up on self-centering with about 1/2-turn of the steering-wheel still to go, I suspect the former.)

Thanks everyone.

#11 alpder

alpder

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 06:00 PM

The gizmo...

Attached File  IMG_20240309_172016x.jpg   45.67K   1 downloads

The gizmo fitted - just pushed onto the boltheads...

Attached File  IMG_20240309_172120x.jpg   34.6K   1 downloads

First result (0.45 degrees :-( )...

Attached File  IMG_20240309_172524x.jpg   46.24K   4 downloads

But at least they match (0.6 degrees)...

Attached File  IMG_20240309_172829x.jpg   53.93K   2 downloads

#12 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 07:18 PM

nicely done I might have to copy that idea when I get to it

as Spider points out, even if just to make them equal to one another

#13 alpder

alpder

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 07:59 PM

Here's the STL: Attached File  CasterGauge v5.zip   19.54K   14 downloads .

Tip: Although the gauge can be jiggled into position with the steering straight-ahead, this method is easier: Turn steering all the way to the right, clip the gauge on the RHS caliper, straighten steering (slowly, carefully), check the gauge doesn't foul CV boot or tie-rod, take measurement several times, (to gauge roughly the error margin). Repeat in mirror for the LHS. Obviously, DON'T clip the gauge on the RH side and then steer left: it would foul the boot. And (uber-obviously) remove the gauge before driving.

Edited by alpder, 10 March 2024 - 11:07 AM.

#14 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 08:15 PM

cheers :) definitely save that for future use

#15 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin