Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 08 March 2024 - 04:11 PM

Good evening all,

Just re-fitting the radiator and bottom hose after fitting new red spot cones and inner pot joint boots. Thought I would replace the top and bottom hose while the rad was out. 

I bought a GRH240 bottom hose in kevlar and fitted this to the rad before dropping it back in. When trying to fit the hose to the water pump, it comes up a little short and appears to foul on the timing chain case breather.

My Mini has a 1293cc A+ engine in a round nose front and as far as I know, the above hose is the correct one. Could anyone confirm this is the right hose for me please? Don't want to order another from a different supplier if its the wrong one!

Cheers in advance, Steve.

#2 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 04:46 PM

seems a bit odd.

if you attached (clamped?) the hose to the radiator before fitting it's possible it's not in the correct alignment to the pump inlet 

you could try loosening off the lower hose clip to see if that helps matters, or even remove the hose completely and attempt to refit once the radiator is in place (appreciate it's a bit tight, but is doable)

#3 mbolt998

mbolt998

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 04:50 PM

How does it compare to the one you took off? I think I have that hose too and it seemed a bit tight but went on OK (1979 998cc).

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,972 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 March 2024 - 05:14 PM

That's a common issue these days. The hoses could be a wee bit longer. You can usually loosen the clamp on the lower radiator and wiggle it about to a better angle to give about 1 - 2 mm clearance off the timing chain cover.

One thing I keep meaning to try is a lower hose from a Morris Minor. They look similar to the Mini one, but longer. I think it might need a trim so it doesn't foul the subframe, but might be worth a try.

#5 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 05:28 PM

Thank you gents,

Yes the hoses do seem a bit short as you say Spider. I'll try reattaching the hose to the radiator but leave the jubilee clip loose as you suggested KTS.

I did wonder if I had bought a 998cc hose mbolt998. Unfortunately I chucked the one I took off, so cannot compare!

Thanks again all, Steve.

#6 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 05:34 PM

I could also try a GRH468 bottom hose, this is for the Clubman and 1275GT which is longer than the GRH240.

Cheers, Steve.

Edited by Stevie W, 08 March 2024 - 05:49 PM.

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,439 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 March 2024 - 11:55 PM

There shouldn't be any difference between small &  large bore, apart from a breather can to get in the way.

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,971 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 March 2024 - 01:05 AM

As the rad is mounted slightly further away from the engine on the Clubman bodied cars as can be seen with the different rad lower mounts and top mounts and the bigger spacer used on the fan the bottom hose could be longer but not by much.

#9 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 12:44 PM

Thanks gents,

I've ordered the GRH468 in the hope the small extra length will b enough to get round the bottom of the timing chain breather canister!

Cheers, Steve.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users