#1 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 04:34 PM

Hello

I am just curious if someone had a project where he repaired/patched the panels instead of buying new.

I mean front wings, floor, fenders and so on

#2 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 07:09 PM

mines a mixture of replacing panels where it's visually necessary (i.e the outer panels) and patching in repairs where it's not visible (will be covered with sound deadening, or stonechip, or just in tucked away places, etc) 

for example, patched inner sills, brand new complete outer sills

there have been some bits where to be honest I wished I'd just saved time and replaced whole panels (but the cost would have been higher and arguably wasteful, depending on your point of view)  - like actually in the end it would have been technically far easier just to replace the whole boot floor and parcel shelf because plug welds are a lot easier to tidy than loads of seam welds (or even better a hired or borrowed spot welder does the job effortlessly)

but then part of the reason for my project is learning fabrication and welding, and the lessons I've learnt have been well worth it regardless of the final result

horses for courses really, and the final completed rebuild value of a late 80's mayfair isn't so important, compared to restoring a mk1 cooper for example

Edited by stuart bowes, 09 March 2024 - 08:18 PM.

#3 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 March 2024 - 08:33 PM

Nothing wrong with patch repairs in my experience.I have a Triumph TR7 which is virtually worthless and the replacement panels seem priced as if they were made of gold.I fabricated all repairs except the outer sills.It is rewarding.Steve..

#4 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 06:28 AM

Yes the prices are pretty high. Especially if you import them to EU that is why I would like to repair instead.

First I fabricated two A-panels, now I am going to take a chance on the front wings, which I removed 

Attached File  20240302_113349.jpg   33.35K   0 downloads

Edited by gaspen, 10 March 2024 - 06:28 AM.

#5 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 10 March 2024 - 08:04 AM

Worst case you ruin the panel and need to buy a new one.

For many other vehicles replacement panels are not available so repairs are required.

It depends on the level of rust as to what I do. I repair stuff that most others over here wouldn't consider yet overseas it is normal.

#6 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 11 March 2024 - 10:33 AM

floors and sills are common to be patched but outer panels not so but we have good avialability, even so have known people just repair lower half of A panel, in uk!!

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,903 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 11 March 2024 - 11:49 AM

The wings are compound curves so would need either off cuts of some good hand skils to farbricate repair sections, hammers, dollies, sandbag, English wheel. All certainly doable but time consuming.

A lot of the other areas are all certainly doable for repair sections patches etc but again this also depends on what and where.

I made from scratch the A post from individual sections i formed then welded altogether. Why some people asked and the simple answer was because i can and i have the tools to do so.

If you have good hand skills, some decent tools then upwards and onwards.

#8 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 03:30 PM

The wings are compound curves so would need either off cuts of some good hand skils to farbricate repair sections, hammers, dollies, sandbag, English wheel. All certainly doable but time consuming.

A lot of the other areas are all certainly doable for repair sections patches etc but again this also depends on what and where.

I made from scratch the A post from individual sections i formed then welded altogether. Why some people asked and the simple answer was because i can and i have the tools to do so.

If you have good hand skills, some decent tools then upwards and onwards.

I will (can) repair the areas which are near flat or simple. I don't have english wheel - wish I have one  :D  Most of the rust is on the edges of the panels which not so difficult to repair

Colud someone help me with the width of the lip behind the A-panel ?  This is the lip where the A-panel is folded back.

Attached File  Képkivágás.JPG   22.1K   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users