#1 john2502

john2502

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 11:07 AM

Hi all

My 1997 MPI keeps blowing the 10A C4 fuse which cuts out the indictors, hazards, and immobiliser dash light (weirdly!). The immobiliser itself still works (I still have to get in and press the fob button on ignition to start just as normal but the dash light doesn't come on when getting in as before).

The fuse blows as soon as I put it in (been through 4 now). I have had this before about 3 times in 1.5 years or so and on replacing it all has been fine but not this time. It has been [articularly wet so I guess possible i've got water shorting something? Could it be as simple as a bulb/relay? Which relays/flasher units am I looking for? (i.e where are they?)

I have some 15A fuses somewhere and i'm sure i read somewhere people have replaced with these but doesn't seem ideal to me (I think i read somewhere Rover had been a bit cautious with the fuse ratings but that may be spurious I don't know either way)

Many thanks in advance for any help

John

#2 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 12 March 2024 - 11:11 AM

I'd take a look at the door switches.

Does the courtesy light come on when you open the door?

#3 john2502

john2502

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 11:51 AM

Just been out and no courtesy light doesn't come on when either door is opened. But if you open the driver's door with the lights on it does beep at you.Which makes me think the door switch itself, on this side at least, is ok. However it only does this on the drivers side with the lights on, not passengers, maybe this is correct? Both the switches in the door themselves seem to push in and out fine themselves.

Should have mentioned this before sorry, last night i used the car and when i drove away the beep noise remained on (had the lights on). I thought i just hadn't quite shut the door but no, the indictors weren't working. So i pulled over and replaced this C4 fuse as and it worked fine for the rest of the journey and this morning until it went.

Have just taken the courtesy light out and the bulb filament itself and wiring to it seems ok, obviously hard to tell 100% with a filament. There is a small mark on the plastic however, like a small burn like it's blown at some point but not sure if that's been there for a while or not.

thanks for the help. Could passenger side door switch be the culprit then?

#4 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:01 PM

The courtesy light, itself, is easy to short circuit/blow fuse from.

The door switches lead a hard life. I'd consider replacing them but, in the meantime, check the wiring back from them for shorts/abrasions.

#5 john2502

john2502

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:07 PM

Guessing to check them best is to just unscrew them and pull them out a little to check the wiring in the back? Sorry basic question I know.

Seems odd thecourtesy light doesn't come on with either door being opened. I would assume it should for either. Which makes me think that both door switches would be unlikely to go at the same time....if that makes any sense.

#6 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,653 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:52 PM

Live short to ground, check front indicator mountings.

#7 john2502

john2502

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 01:16 PM

Midas Mk1, if we ever meet I most certainly owe you a beer sir!

Was hard to see while the whole car was wet all over but the passenger side indicator lense was about 1/3 full of water. Wouldn't really see it unless you knew it was there or looked closely (why did they make water clear eh! haha).

All cleaned/dried out, fuse replaced and all works fine now. Problem solved, Many thanks again!

#8 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 12 March 2024 - 03:03 PM

Leyland indicator fluid.

Shame bmw and audi never have indicator fluid changes..... theirs just seam never to work....

#9 john2502

john2502

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 03:44 PM

Haha. I'll be sure to pick some up next time i'm at the garage!

Yes I did get to experience life as a BMWAudi driver coming back from the school run with the complete inability to indicate!

I wonder if a good idea to drill a small hole or two at the bottom of the lens, just to let any water that gets in (which is impressive considering the design of the holder etc!) out but couldn't see it letting much in in reality. Hmmm, might sleep on that one.

Ordered a new lens anyway as the old one was a little "crusty" so maybe that will just solve it too.

Another example of why this forum is a very vauable resource.

#10 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,491 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 12 March 2024 - 08:18 PM

The indicator units should have cutouts on the rubber for the water to drain out.

If they don't you can cut a small notch from the lens

Edited by cal844, 12 March 2024 - 08:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users