4 replies to this topic

#1 Java_Green

Java_Green

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 09:34 PM

I am planning to lead the ventilation into a catch tank including a oil separating filter. From there into the intake (sub atmospheric pressure) via a PCV-valve. My intension is to have a vented timing gear cover together with a vented clutch housing and rocker cover (maybe restricted), through Y-connections, with a vented oil filler cap (intake).
The question is how do I get a proper working crank case ventilation and do I need to balance it (steel wool/smaller hole/opened)?

#2 Davidmt

Davidmt

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 09:41 PM

Watching with interest as I received my car with both engine breathers just vented to atmosphere and the HiF44 port blocked off.

The atmospheric vents were just hoses to the bottom of the engine. The Mini is on a car ramp and don't want oil dripping on the car below!

I would rather at least vent back to the carb or tidy up the hoses somehow.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 March 2024 - 09:44 PM

So what is wrong with the oil separators on the car now?

#4 Java_Green

Java_Green

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 09:58 PM

So what is wrong with the oil separators on the car now?

It is a new engine being built so none of this evaluated yet. I do not know the status inside the existing steel wool one on the timing chain cover, the one on the clutch housing will most likely be a fabricated one (without steel wool) and there is no separator on the vented valve covers.

#5 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 14 March 2024 - 12:09 PM

venting to a vacuum is a good idea, mini's leak enough at the best of times and  anything to counter that is good....

the original valve used to connect to the inlet manifod, the crank case, and the air filter pipe, so at part throttle the manifold would suck vacuum on the carank case, when it came on boost the valve would switch over so the suction on the turbo inlet against the filter would suck on the crank case,

ive vent to the catch can, and then stiock it through one of those 3 way PCV Emission valves.

the valve is NLA, but similar valves were used on the RSturbo, and i think the same valve on the coseworths....

https://www.burtonpo...els-yb0228.html

https://www.burtonpo...vh-6141135.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users