20 replies to this topic

#16 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 07:29 AM

" Thanks, however I have attached a copy from the SPi manual specification and it shows the firing order as: 1-3-4-2 "clockwise", so when looking at the attached drwg of the distributor cap, the number 2 lead goes to the RH side plug (next to radiator when looking at the front of the engine) followed by number 4 lead, number 3 lead and then number 1 lead on the LH side plug - is this correct?

"

Everything here is correct. In car mecanics every thing is described in driving direction! This means , when you stand in front of the car, the dizzy turns anticlockwise!

Understood now?

#17 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 07:50 AM

As far as I can see in your drawing above with the green writing stating left and right of engine and looking from the front of the engine you have got the leads in the wrong positions.

Number one cylinder is the one to the right of the engine nearest the rad and number four cylinder at the clutch end.
So working from that starting point
The HT lead from distributor contact No 1 should go to cylinder No 1
The HT lead from distributor contact No 2 should go to cylinder No 2
The HT lead from distributor contact No 3 should go to cylinder No 3
The HT lead from distributor contact No 4 should go to cylinder No 4

The engine/crankshaft will turn clockwise when looking at it from the fan/radiator end but the distributor rotor will be turning in an anticlockwise direction.
So in your mind's eye picture the rotor arm pointing at cylinder 1 contact (HT Lead for cylinder 1) on the distributor cap, as you turn the engine over clockwise the distributor arm will move anticlockwise from cylinder one contact to cylinder 3 contact then to cylinder 4 contact and finally to cylinder 2 contact.
Thus your firing order is 1342 on the distributor.
It is not determined by the order you put the HT leads on to the spark plugs. The position of the cylinders and their respective numbers are fixed for evermore.
The position of each cylinders HT lead in the distributor's contact number is also fixed for evermore.
Therefore you are connecting the HT leads from like number to like number so that the engine fires in the correct order.

I to got it wrong reading that clockwise was for the distributor and not realising it was for the engine. I realized my mistake when I had someone turn the engine by hand and I watched the rotor arm and saw it went anticlockwise.
Firing order was soon sorted and engine burst into life immediately.

Hope this helps to clarify your confusion.

Paddy

Very well explained 👍

Edited by Bobbins, 16 March 2024 - 01:46 PM.

#18 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 16 March 2024 - 08:25 AM

" Thanks, however I have attached a copy from the SPi manual specification and it shows the firing order as: 1-3-4-2 "clockwise", so when looking at the attached drwg of the distributor cap, the number 2 lead goes to the RH side plug (next to radiator when looking at the front of the engine) followed by number 4 lead, number 3 lead and then number 1 lead on the LH side plug - is this correct?

"

Everything here is correct. In car mecanics every thing is described in driving direction! This means , when you stand in front of the car, the dizzy turns anticlockwise!

Understood now?

No that is not correct as I said the HT leads must go from the corresponding number in the distributor to the corresponding number of the cylinder/sparkplug.

You are saying that the number 2 lead goes to the RH side plug. No you have connected it to number 1 cylinder/sparkplug. NUMBERS DO NOT MATCH

Number 2 lead goes to the next cylinder/sparkplug towards the clutch end of the engine the second  cylinder/sparkplug away from the radiator. NUMBERS DO MATCH.

Therefore it follows that number 3 lead goes to the next cylinder/sparkplug number 3 from the radiator end. NUMBERS DO MATCH

That leaves you with number 4 lead going to the cylinder/sparkplug nearest the clutch end of the engine again NUMBERS DO MATCH.

If you take the valve cover off and turn the engine over by hand clockwise until both the valves nearest the fan/radiator are closed, that is number 1 cylinder at top dead centre.

Now check that the timing mark and sensor are in alignment.

Remove the dizzy cap mark with tape and pen the contact numbers on the outside of the cap.

Place the dizzy cap close to the dizzy with it in the correct orientation as if it were fitted correctly.

Now look at the distributor rotor and it should be pointing at the position for contact number 1 on the cap.

Now turn the engine over by hand until both the valves for cylinder number 3 are closed (third one from the fan/rad end), that is number 3 cylinder at top dead centre.

The rotor arm should now be pointing at the position for contact number 3 on the cap.

Turn the engine over by hand until the valves on cylinder number 4 ( the one nearest to the clutch housing) are both closed, that is cylinder number 4 at top dead centre.

The rotor arm should now be pointing at the position for contact number 4.

It therefore follows that you turn the engine over until the valves on cylinder number 2 (the second one in from the fan/rad end of the engine) are both closed.

The rotor should be pointing at the position for contact number 2.

When I say valves are closed that means that they are at their highest point of movement in relation to the top of the cylinder head.

Thus you have the firing order of 1342 with the engine turning clockwise and the dizzy turning anticlockwise.

The spark plug fires at or just before top dead centre.

If you are still not getting the engine to fire up having followed the above sequence and connected the HT leads correctly then it could be the case that you timing is out by 180 degrees.

Check this by getting number 1 cylinder to top dead centre and checking that the sensor is opposite the TDC mark.

If it isn't then you probably have got the dizzy in the wrong way by 180 degrees.

Easily done I did it myself I did not check when both valves of number one cylinder were closed the timing mark on the crank pulley was inline with the TDC mark  on the timing cover.

Put the dizzy in and of course it was out by 180 degrees.

Paddy

Edited by Designer, 16 March 2024 - 12:59 PM.

#19 Kawh1

Kawh1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 08:59 AM

Great Paddy, very helpful indeed..

#20 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 16 March 2024 - 01:04 PM

Good to hear.

What I should have said is that your timing is out by 180 degrees not you dizzy out by 180 degrees, so sorry for what might be a bit confusing.

The Jack Russell navigator in the picture to the left got me up at 4 this morning desperate to chase a fox in the garden, so typed that lot still half asleep.

Paddy

#21 Kawh1

Kawh1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 11:22 PM

Well, considering your 4am start to the day, you did really well in providing a detailed reply which makes the firing order query all crystal clear indeed..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users