#1 CasaSteve

CasaSteve

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 09:19 AM

Hi All.

My father passed away a year or so ago, and so I inherited his 1997 mini MPI. Unfortunately, it has been sat in a lockup for a good 12 years untouched and unloved. It drove into the garage but I think it had failed its MOT for various reasons and it was just too much at the time form my dad to sort out.  My dad had a long love affair with Minis, having had a Cooper or two in the 60's/70's and buying my mum a Mayfair (I think) in the early 90's when she decided to start driving again.  He bought this at some point in the early-mid 2000's and drove it as his main car for a number of years.  He even attempted to teach me to drive in it for a few months at one point.

Anyhow, it has been sat for a long time now, and is in need of a lot of TLC.  Sadly, as much as I would very much like to getting it running and enjoy driving it myself I just don't have the time, money or resources to do anything with it. It needs to go to a better home where it can be bought back to life. I will likely post some details in the valuation forum when I can, as I don't really know what it might be worth.

Any tips on whether I should clean it up a bit, or leave it in "barn find" condition?

nt4aOBd.jpeg

H1bygOg.jpeg

aONM2Yl.jpeg

vtNqEeO.jpeg

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 March 2024 - 05:51 PM

Mini 1.3i

"The first of the two models available on the MPi's October 1996 launch, the 'Mini 1.3i' was the Cooper's more luxurious, restrained and retro cousin. Offered only in a monotone colour scheme, the Mini 1.3i harked back to the original Austin Seven and Morris Mini-Minor with a number of retro details and styling cues. This model sold in far fewer numbers than the Cooper, making it a much rarer sight today."

PRICE WHEN NEW: £8995
YEARS PRODUCED: October 1996 - March 2000
COLOURS AVAILABLE: White Diamond, Old English White, Charcoal, Anthracite, Platinum Silver, Yukon Grey, Whitehall Beige, Flame Red, Solar Red, Nightfire Red, Volcano, Electric Blue, Tahiti Blue, Surf Blue, Kingfisher Blue, Hawaiian Blue, Amaranth, Morello Purple, British Racing Green, Almond Green
INTERIOR TRIM: Balmoral Stone Beige (Half Leather), Classic Leather (Optional), Stone Beige Full Leather (Optional)
WHEELS: Mini Premium style alloy wheel (12"), Optional Sports style alloy wheel (13") - included in Sports Pack
More info here:-

https://www.thelastm...com/models.html

Edited by mab01uk, 18 March 2024 - 05:52 PM.

#3 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 18 March 2024 - 06:58 PM

Personally if I was coming to .okk at buying this car I would prefer to have arrived to see a cleaner car. One I can genuine look at into and under. Lifting carpets etc.

If you were closer to me I would be interested.

If I was selling this I may even take it out the garage and lift it up take some photographs see what subframes, sills and the like are condition wise.

Good luck with the sale..

#4 CasaSteve

CasaSteve

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for the info, that's really useful. I'm trying to figure out how I can do anything on the car, as it's in a lockup about 30 mins away from home and with no access to water/power. I have a certain amount of tools and limited mechanical knowledge but I'm not sure I can do much more than wipe it over and very basic stuff like that.

#5 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 19 March 2024 - 12:55 PM

i would list it as barn find first to gauge response can always wash/clean after. just take water in bottle to garage can clean with no power

#6 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 19 March 2024 - 04:40 PM

Pushing out when it rains..

Tools wise I would say take

Compressor for tyres
Fresh fuel.
Spark plug socket and ratchet.
Socket set.
Oil.
Brake fluid.
Fresh battery and jump leads.
Fresh tin of wd-40.

Lots of hope and fingers crossed.

These mpi's can go one way or the other... easy peesy or problematic but if it was running when parked i suspect should be good.

#7 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 04:55 PM

love those little pepperpot wheels though, something a bit different to the mini-lites you see all the time  (and which mine will probably end up on as well)

#8 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 20 March 2024 - 04:13 PM

i would list it as barn find first to gauge response can always wash/clean after. just take water in bottle to garage can clean with no power

This, you can only have 'barn find' patina once. Personally I'd resist the urge to do more than I need to see if it starts. A running car will sell for more than a none running car.

#9 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 21 March 2024 - 09:16 AM

If you do try to start it take the plugs out (label the order of plug leads first), squirt some oil/ WD40 down the bores first then fit a charged up battery and check it turns over ok on the starter. Ideally get oil pressure up before trying to start with the plugs back in.

Petrol goes off more slowly in an injection sealed system but 12 years is a long time for fuel to degrade and /or block things up with gunge, etc.

This video shows what you might have to do, although it is an SU carb Mini so slightly different to an MPi to get started.

Edited by mab01uk, 21 March 2024 - 12:18 PM.

#10 Lowestoftmodder

Lowestoftmodder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 11:16 AM

I would love to take this car on, I think I’d enjoy getting it out of its slumber too.. in my opinion give someone the option if you do really want to sell it to a new home… this could be lots of fun (well to me anyway)

#11 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 05 April 2024 - 04:19 PM

You probably know, but ebay is a good gauge of values.  However it's a minefield, as Minis have so many varying degrees of condition/appeal/value to different sections of the community. As Mab says this is rarer, but unfortunately not worth as much as a similar year Cooper.

Hard to tell from photos, and it would require a full inspection, especially underneath, but this age car rusted badly and being an MOT failure 12 years ago, is obviously a bad sign and could mean a lot of work and time to bring it back to its former glory.

In my very humble opinion, if it is very rusty and has bad paint, and it being a non Cooper, means less value to the average punter. Obviously if you can find someone like Lowestoftmodder, then brilliant.

From talking to folk, stuff isn't selling at the moment, at least not very fast, things are sitting on the market for a while, those Covid days of high prices and quick turnaround are long gone.

Example, this member advertised his car £8.5k and hasn't sold it, and has now resorted to an auction on car and classic.

https://www.theminif...htfire-red-52k/

If you do want a valuation, put up some photos in the valuation section, and try and include underneath, engine bay, as many photos as possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users