Photo
- - - - -

Should I Be Worried If Oil Is Over Filled?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PurpleEquinox96

PurpleEquinox96

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 06:48 PM

Apologies if this question has already been asked. I drove my mini back from the garage and noticed the oil has been over filled, it's approx 1.5cm above the max line. I plan to drain some of it out but I've already driven the car roughly 30 miles before I happened to check. I didn't notice any smoke or anything unusual but I'm worried in case there could have been any damaged caused to the engine? Is it safe to continue driving or is this something that needs urgent attention?

I'm only just learning how to do maintenance because I usually rely on my brother but I'd like to start doing things myself so apologies if this is a stupid question.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 March 2024 - 07:06 PM

Things to remember. After driving leave the car for about 5 mins before checking the level.

hot oil is uncomfortable so if you are going to drain some oil do it with a cold engine.

check your dip stick. Is it correct many of the fancy ones slip on the alloy stop so can read as over filled when they are not.

over filling can cause issues but in this case you seem fine.

#3 PurpleEquinox96

PurpleEquinox96

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 07:30 PM

Thank you for the advice. The engine was cold when I checked the oil but I think some of it may be because the dip stick is catching along the stop, but I'm not confident with my judgement just yet! It's definitely over filled but I'm not sure if it's enough to cause issues.

#4 lsto

lsto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 08:35 PM

I would imagine it's fine, I'd rather have a bit too much then not enough.

#5 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 20 March 2024 - 07:01 AM

I would suggest taking it back to the garage and ask what grade and amount of oil they put into the car.

Generally 20w 50 is the grade of oil suggested and 5 litres is required if full oil filter has been changed also.

The garage have provided a service and if it is not up to scratch then your well within your rights to ask questions of their work. Or just avoid the garage completely and get your brother round and sure he would assist with dropping the oil to checkmthe amount for your piece of mind more than anything..

Welcome to the learning curve that is mini ownership.

#6 mbolt998

mbolt998

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 08:16 AM

1.5cm is probably fine. I think I've overfilled mine by that much in the past. I think there is a theoretical risk of blowing some seals or something if there's way too much. Drive normally and it will go down with time, especially if you forget to put the oil filler cap back on :)

#7 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 20 March 2024 - 11:49 AM

What transmission is it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users