12 replies to this topic

#1 Kjbfabrications

Kjbfabrications

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 12:48 PM

Hello got a mpi want to fit right side tank too . Anyone done this ? Got a diagram on how to pipe it up ?

#2 Kjbfabrications

Kjbfabrications

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 12:55 PM

Attached File  IMG-20240322-WA0000.jpg   27.71K   9 downloads

#3 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 01:01 PM

I messed around with twin tanks and injection, i found that having feeds and rreturns  in bith tanks caused issues, on tank would drain and fill the other slightly, to the point where at about 1/4 full on tank would start sucking air...

in then end I just returned to one tank, and had a T'd feed from both, thta worked... bit with the MPI tank... I would look at just adding a pipe into the bottom of the MPI tank, and connect that to the RH tank to balence the fuel, and just let the MPI feed and return do their thing.

#4 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 05:08 PM

I just bought the RH Tank fitting kit from Minispares. Easy. Onlt mod I did wasa to add a motorcycle fuel tap to isolate the RH tank if I needed to.

#5 Kjbfabrications

Kjbfabrications

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 09:58 PM

I just bought the RH Tank fitting kit from Minispares. Easy. Onlt mod I did wasa to add a motorcycle fuel tap to isolate the RH tank if I needed to.

So how have u joined them ?

#6 Kjbfabrications

Kjbfabrications

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 10:01 PM

I messed around with twin tanks and injection, i found that having feeds and rreturns  in bith tanks caused issues, on tank would drain and fill the other slightly, to the point where at about 1/4 full on tank would start sucking air...

in then end I just returned to one tank, and had a T'd feed from both, thta worked... bit with the MPI tank... I would look at just adding a pipe into the bottom of the MPI tank, and connect that to the RH tank to balence the fuel, and just let the MPI feed and return do their thing.

Was thinking new 8mm at the bottom of main mpi tank then that goin to the bottom of the right side tank . Return just to the mpi tank . Both breather T pieced together . No return to right side tank tho ? Or Return to both tanks ?

#7 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 09:37 AM

yeah, that sounds good.

slightly different to mine as I'm using two 5.5 gal tanks and external pump, but you way will be much neater.

8mm will be plenty, for just balancing the fuel, adding the fitting s will be the tricky bit.

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 March 2024 - 10:15 AM

Yes return to MPi side only. I would not connect the breathers. 

maybe fit a tap in the joining pipe.

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,417 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 March 2024 - 04:32 PM

Wonder if you could use the fuel return to automatically prime a syphon from the reserve tank?

Regular reserve outlet tee'd in to the return for some Bernoulli action, likely to need a one way valve so the reserve don't syphon off the pump tank instead.

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 March 2024 - 07:01 PM

Wonder if you could use the fuel return to automatically prime a syphon from the reserve tank?

Regular reserve outlet tee'd in to the return for some Bernoulli action, likely to need a one way valve so the reserve don't syphon off the pump tank instead.

Seen that used to help empty both sides of a tank with two lower areas, like on a AWD or a car with an exhaust under the tank. But those can overflow back into themselves.

Not sure I would want it on a twin tank set up. But an interesting thought.

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,417 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 March 2024 - 10:21 PM

Yes, hard to imagine why you'd do it. Perhaps if you really wanted to avoid adding a connection to the bottom.

#12 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 07:45 AM

I’m in the process of doing this to my JDM (SPi) Mini. After a lot of research I’ve concluded that the simplest method is to plumb both tanks together across the bottom (8mm / 5/16 hose) and to connect the RH tank breather to the original tank breather using a T-piece. I’ll also be fitting a fuel tap to isolate the RH tank.

The RH tank must have a breather otherwise it won’t function, but that breather needs to be connected to the original tank breather to ensure a ‘sealed’ system is maintained.

I’ve fitted a Minispares RH tank but it’ll need the filler neck removing and re-welding before my final fit because the angle is completely wrong, no surprises there.

Also be aware that the boot contact-switch is a very tight fit with the RH tank. Mine has the switch bracket but no switch fitted and I had to bend the bracket out a little to give more clearance. With a switch fitted it might need a rethink.

lo2NyJQ.jpeg

IUWqGN3.jpeg

#13 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 24 March 2024 - 08:09 AM

One thing to note with twin tanks is that if you park on a side to side slope with near full tanks it’ll transfer fuel to the lower tank to level out the system. It can possibly over fill the lower tank. The factory got around this on early cars by piping the breather lines across the parcel shelf to drain on the opposite side. This might not be an issue with a sealed injection system, but worth thinking about

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users