Photo
- - - - -

Absolutely Stymied By Windshield Install!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Tremelune

Tremelune

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 02:56 AM

I have a '92 (possibly '91) Rover Mini from Japan. To remove the windshield, I pulled the filet strip and then applied a nerves-testing amount of pressure to the top corner of the windshield with my foot until both sides popped out. I don't understand how this thing's gonna get back in—I am boggled.

My understanding is that later cars (MPi, and possibly SPi and whatever the JDM cars qualify under) got a wider piece of trim. From what I've read, this is because airbags were causing windshields to pop out, and that these wider trim pieces were prone to leaks and corrosion. Mine is completely free of such. The recommendation is to use the older trim on the later cars, so that's what I bought. I would reuse the trim I have, but it's cracked along the edges, and split (cut?) in the center along the bottom.

The trim I pulled off my car has a wildly different profile from the CZH1719MS version I got from Mini Spares. In particular, it has a much larger groove for the glass in addition to the wider profile that covers more of the external body around the windshield.

I've also read that there are different windshields, and this might be what's tripping me up. My windshield seems to be two laminated pieces with a green tint. It is thick, like a full quarter inch.

My guess is that you should use the early trim on later cars if you have a thin windshield, and if you have a thick-ass windshield like mine, there is no choice but to use the later (wider) trim piece (which I believe is CCB10011MS).

Does anyone have any definitive answers for me before I fly more rubber across the pond...? Can anyone tell me based on the photos if the CCB10011MS has the same profile? The photos on Mini Spares aren't helpful in this regard. Do these trim pieces have an orientation (top/bottom) or are they just big loops??

Some shots of the windshield edge, the new trim installed, and the very-distinct old trim profile:

glass-edge.jpg

trim-groove.jpg

old-trim-profile.jpg

Edited by Tremelune, 29 March 2024 - 03:00 AM.

#2 Tremelune

Tremelune

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 02:58 AM

Ya know. My windshield has "DOT" on it, which I assume is specific to the USA. Maybe I have something even weirder than JDM due to importation of some kind...? Or maybe the original shatter and someone replaced it...

Humbug!

Edited by Tremelune, 29 March 2024 - 03:03 AM.

#3 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 07:10 AM

The later screens are thicker, although I thought they came in with the MPi so yours sounds very early. Does it have the bonded on mirror mount?
As far as I know the rubbers are still interchangeable, but the early rubber with the thick screen is tight. The early rubbers do have a right and wrong way out though - the grooves are different widths and the thinner one goes to the metal.
Top to bottom shouldn’t matter as much, but I tend to put the bonded join to the bottom just in case it does start to open up.

#4 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 29 March 2024 - 07:19 AM

Lubrication is the key for this. Foamy bubbles or wd-40/gt-85 is usually what I go for.

Slowly slowly is also required. Plastic trim tools are always good to use on these.

Also a string method that can be used here..

Either way .. SLOWLY, SLOWLY......

#5 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 08:01 AM

Don't use the string method - that is for rubbers that do not have a locking strip and are designed to be fit to the glass first.

Our screen seals go onto the car first then put the glass in, then the locking strip to secure (officially known as Claytonrite seals). Using the string method is likely to damage the seal as it is too think in profile to allow the string to pull out cleanly.

I've just been looking up the seals - you can get the Calytonrite seals in various groove dimensions.  I don't know the spec of the Minispares one but the most common seem to be 5mm for the wider groove.  Apparently they happily seal to -1mm (ie seal a 4mm glass in a 5mm groove), but aren't recommended for a thicker glass.  I'd suspect if you use a small amount of some non-setting screen sealer in the groove first you'd probably be OK though.

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 29 March 2024 - 09:00 AM

The windscreen glass is thicker and heavier (6mm) in the UK Mini MPi's to meet later safety regulations, but the thicker windscreens may have been fitted to earlier Minis for some export market models like Japan. The MPi also used the wider rubber seal.

#7 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 10:10 AM

Just to add -

I always warm the seal up ,

the warmer it gets the more pliable it gets

leave it in the sun or use a bucket of hot water

we don't get sun in the UK , but we do have rain , so if anyone needs rain - free to collect anytime

#8 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 29 March 2024 - 01:12 PM

You have an early 1990's Rover Mini with it's original Secursiv windscreen so the old rubber seal would have been CCB10011MS

....but don't panic the CZH1719MS will fit just as well,& some people prefer to fit the narrower style seal.

I've fitted the standard laminated windscreens & the (slightly thicker) MPI screens to Minis using both those types of seal without any problems, but I am an advocate of using windscreen sealant between the rubber & bodywork, & between the rubber & glass (can be a messy job but i've never had any issue with leakage or rusty scuttles).

There's a TMF guide to fitting screens (but pay attention to the comments by Dan).... https://www.theminif...showtopic=10693

Also worth watching some online videos of Mini windscreen being fitted if this is your first time.

Fitting a screen is quicker & easier if done by two people, & do place an old blanket or folded over sheet on the scuttle/bonnet  -if the screen slips it can severly gouge the paintwork.

Why are you placing small orders from UK suppliers when you have Minimania/SevenMiniParts in Nevada?

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 29 March 2024 - 05:53 PM

Remember the glass does not sit in the opening but just out side of the body. This gives the room needed.

#10 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 29 March 2024 - 10:18 PM

I thought the later wide seal was fitted to reduce drive by noise? (It looks like a lower profile than the earlier one)

I've never used the string method, as mentioned I thought this was for seals fitted to glass first then then pulled into the body whereas I believe the correct way for the mini (as also mentioned) is to fit the seal to the body and work the glass into it (plastic cycle tyre levers being my tool of choice)

I have used an early seal on my car and I am using a laminated (thick) windscreen; fitted it with no particular problem - reason to use an early seal is that I get the impression the later wide seal could trap more water under it but just my thought no evidence to back this up 

#11 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 29 March 2024 - 10:32 PM

Make sure that you use a soapy liquid ( use washing-up liquid) as lubricant when fitting the screen and then the locking strip.

I have to fit a rear screen tomorrow.

#12 Tremelune

Tremelune

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 March 2024 - 01:30 AM

Interesting. Maybe I'll have another crack when it's daylight and I'm rested.

Wash-up liquid (dishwashing soap?) I believe can take some of the finish off, and oil-based lubes (WD40) stay forever. I feel like a good lube would be Windex glass cleaner—it's harmless soap and dries eventually.

I'm struggling to get started, really. I've read that it's best to start with the middle bottom, but I can't get it all the way seated anywhere. I can go slow, but I feel like I'm starting from zero...I shall watch some videos and perhaps commandeer another set of hands.

#13 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,896 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 30 March 2024 - 08:02 AM

Use car shampoo as lube.

Wd40 and dish soap (contains salts) will dry the seal out and make it crack.

#14 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 30 March 2024 - 09:04 AM

As above use a car wash wax liquid for lube.....as washing up liquid is high in salt content so will seep into and cause rust to start in the joints of the windscreen opening panels.

Edited by mab01uk, 30 March 2024 - 09:05 AM.

#15 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 30 March 2024 - 10:44 PM

When removing the screen I usually just cut the seal out with a sharp knife as I wouldn't tend to reuse a windscreen seal if it were more than a few months old as its just not worth it.

For fitting I always use a silicone based furniture polish as it makes it all slip together nicely, never had any issues fitting either type of rubber seal doing this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)