#16 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 11 April 2024 - 10:40 AM

If you have 5k for a car and 5k for a resto, which is what I’m kind of looking at then if you get a 1970 or a 1990 the cost of the resto will be the same? 

If you can properly restore a Mini for £5K, you'd have a long queue outside your door.

#17 steve1978

steve1978

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 05:00 PM

Thank you very much everyone for all the input. Every mini on the market seems to be an option for me 😂

Tough decisions.

#18 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 07:38 PM

TMF member has just dropped this down to £8k

https://www.carandcl...source=sendgrid

#19 steve1978

steve1978

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 09:29 PM

Now this is where I show how naive i am with minis..

1995 rover mini Mayfair, produced for around 10 years, this particular one is the rover which is by all accounts more prone to rust because of cheaper production methods in the later models.

I am not certain but I’m guessing this is the poorer spi, not the mpi but I might be wrong.  Granted it’s a great example and at 4k would be a steal, 6k would be a fair price but 8k? It’s 11 years from being a historic, it’s not a rare model … I just don’t see why it’s worth 8k.

#20 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 10:47 PM

I don't know the car personally but if the description is accurate, the condition would probably qualify the higher price tag, as with any car though you have to look in person and check for yourself

the seller is a member on here though so it would be easy to ask questions if you had any https://www.theminif...tfire-red-52k/ 

at the end of the day value = what someone is willing to pay

#21 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 06:27 AM

I agree with Stuart, as in this instance this isn’t a fly by night dealer making a quick turnover, but a forum member and hence it will have been looked after. As Stuart says it’s only worth what someone is prepared to pay.
Also I urge you to test drive as many as you can before buying. Example, if you are you taller, you will find the seats on the 94/95 onwards cars are much bigger / well padded and hence makes the driver slightly elevated over earlier cars.
I bought a 1990 Cooper for this reason, the seats aren’t as comfortable, but as I’m nearly 6ft, my head isn’t touching the headlining!
Good luck.

Edited by beardylondon, 12 April 2024 - 07:58 AM.

#22 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 07:02 AM

Now this is where I show how naive i am with minis..

1995 rover mini Mayfair, produced for around 10 years, this particular one is the rover which is by all accounts more prone to rust because of cheaper production methods in the later models.
I am not certain but I’m guessing this is the poorer spi, not the mpi but I might be wrong. Granted it’s a great example and at 4k would be a steal, 6k would be a fair price but 8k? It’s 11 years from being a historic, it’s not a rare model … I just don’t see why it’s worth 8k.

Nothing wrong with SPIs they have their foibles but they are generally very reliable. The car you highlight seems to be a nice clean model. If the bodywork is sound it's worth a look. You can pay less but soon incur lots of bodywork costs if there are even minor repairs to deal with. Have a chat with the owner and take it from there. £8k isn't too far off if it needs no work doing to it.

#23 steve1978

steve1978

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 09:04 AM

Thanks again. Al, of your input is really valued. I am tending to lean towards the square nose Austin’s though. Something about them I just love the look of. Im not tall, about 5’9 with a healed shoe. More the width of me these days that’s the issue lol.

i agree that his mini above is a great example. If I was looking for something that was a post 1990 though I would also be leaning towards the real coopers rather than another special edition.

i have seen this online, its a SA import. Any thoughts on this? It’s a bit more money but it is exactly what I’m looking for in terms of look, age, model.  

https://www.ebay.co....emis&media=COPY

#24 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 09:22 AM

that's a real nice looking car that, the styling is a matter of preference I guess but I'm a fan of the 70'-80's look myself  (he says, building a round nose lol)

again it all depends on the condition of the metal work doesn't it but if you can knock maybe a grand or two off that it's within your original budget - you were saying 5 to buy and 5 to fix up, so if you can get a sorted one for 10 then same end result I guess

no-one can really advise you one way or the other without seeing it 1st hand obviously 

the square nose by the way usually referred to as clubman or clubby

Edited by stuart bowes, 12 April 2024 - 09:23 AM.

#25 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 12 April 2024 - 09:31 AM

Given the state of external customisation, its value as a "very rare model" is highly compromised. Info on SA GTS here:

https://classicregis...eyland-mini-gts

With the oversills and bumpers (plastic?) being fillered in, I wonder how long before those joints start cracking.

Edited by Quinlan minor, 12 April 2024 - 09:32 AM.

#26 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 09:38 AM

In my humble opinion that SA might be harder to sell on, than more original one, if you decide to move it on in a few years. As it’s not to everyone’s taste!

As pointed out, potential few issues

Thanks again. Al, of your input is really valued. I am tending to lean towards the square nose Austin’s though. Something about them I just love the look of. Im not tall, about 5’9 with a healed shoe. More the width of me these days that’s the issue lol.

i agree that his mini above is a great example. If I was looking for something that was a post 1990 though I would also be leaning towards the real coopers rather than another special edition.

i have seen this online, its a SA import. Any thoughts on this? It’s a bit more money but it is exactly what I’m looking for in terms of look, age, model.

https://www.ebay.co....emis&media=COPY

#27 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 09:46 AM

In a way it's good that opinion is mixed and modification isn't dead yet , it's nice to think that one day we'll go to Brands hatch and NOT see 6 thousand exactly identical minis all lined up side by side 

stick a hood scoop on it and put pink neons underneath, make it stand out  :lol:

no but I do like the stripe across the bonnet on the GTS, it's a simple difference but it's really striking, and the front bumper strikes a nice balance between aftermarket and not being 'too much'

passenger wiper is parked a little low though 

Edited by stuart bowes, 12 April 2024 - 09:51 AM.

#28 steve1978

steve1978

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 10:36 AM

this is a little bit over what i was wanting to spend in total but it seems like a very good price for a rare classic, price wise it isn't "unachievable" thoughts?

Think i would be a bitscared to drive it or leave it in a public car park to be honest.

https://www.ebay.co....tm/296351034955

#29 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 10:49 AM

the build diary is interesting on that one https://www.gbminigarage.co.uk/vml

I think I would expect more complete replacement panels and less edge of panel repairs at that sort of price range ?  dunno am I just being picky for no reason.. I mean as long as it's done well does it matter ?  it's just a lot of money

interestingly he did the same as me with the rear wheel arch brackets, welding the edges instead of the usual spot / plug weld

the final product does look clean all round though

these are all just general chit chat comments nothing I'm saying is any kind of recommendation one way or another 

Edited by stuart bowes, 12 April 2024 - 11:03 AM.

#30 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 11:54 AM

Someone gave me some good advice once, buy the best you can afford, as had been said above, you buy cheaper and it ends up costing more in the long run.
Not telling you how to suck eggs, but there a fine line between spending too much and it becoming a garage queen, spending too less and it taking an age to get on the road.
If I was you, I’d look for something with good bones, ie has perhaps had a partial resto, good subframes, no oversills, non smoking engine and it goes thru the gears easily and stops. Everything else can be sorted out ad hoc.
Post up other options as you find them, and you’ll get a thousand different opinions and some might help!
:-)

Edited by beardylondon, 12 April 2024 - 11:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users