Photo

New Car Tech Gimmicks We Don't Really Need...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 10 April 2024 - 11:31 AM

List below of some of the new car tech or smart features that arguably we really don't need or are completely pointless and in some cases are just plain irritating:
1. Cameras instead of wing mirrors.
2. Virtual rearview mirrors.
3. BMW Airconsole.
4. Tesla Toy Box.
5. BMW i7 Swarovski headlights.
6. Puddle lights.
7. Dynamic sweeping indicator lights.
Many traditional car features being replaced with smart tech to 'improve' the driving experience:-
https://www.thisismo...-dont-need.html

I would add dashboard touchscreens to the list with no 'tactile' feedback, instead of proper switches and controls that can be used without the danger of taking your eyes off the road.

#2 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 10 April 2024 - 11:51 AM

Need varies from person to person,if they sell it some will need it.Definately need it.Steve..

#3 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 10 April 2024 - 12:09 PM

I definitely don't need, or want, my car to turn on the lights or the wipers for me.

If I'm not capable of switching them on and off as appropriate, I'm, probably, not capable of driving the car.

#4 Lowestoftmodder

Lowestoftmodder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 12:19 PM

I like the indicator dynamics.. I guess I’m a chav lol

Assisted steering is a pain and fights me on country lanes

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,903 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 10 April 2024 - 12:45 PM

Automatic main beam dipping. Got this on my A6, works when there is a reflection off a road sign but then ignores the car coming the other way and its wayyyyyy slow.

#6 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 12:57 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with a touchscreen in the dash as long as it's being used responsibly, I prefer the main car buttons and switches to be real though

so as long as it's just entertainment / maps / reversing camera and the rest is all standard what's the harm, I have buttons on the steering wheel and when I'm using android auto its all voice commands anyway.  even if you're not plugged in, you only really need to push it a couple of times to chose a radio station, and you can do that sitting at the lights or before you pull away.. 

if you mean the more modern cars though where literally everything is on that massive screen in the middle though that may be taking things a little too far

cameras instead of wing mirrors is just stupid, at some point you know it's going to go wrong why overcomplicate something that's worked perfectly well all these years

Edited by stuart bowes, 10 April 2024 - 12:59 PM.

#7 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 10 April 2024 - 01:05 PM

I remember, when 'Jags' in the 60s had a row of 12 / 15 unmarked switches in a row on the dash.

Wives were a nervous wreck from the night time near misses as the husband tried to find the correct one, and livid because they had passed their destination by the time he had found it.

#8 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,122 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 10 April 2024 - 07:52 PM

Gimmicks take the concentration and fun out of driving.

#9 Davidmt

Davidmt

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 08:07 PM

I really like puddle lights. What's not to like about them?

#10 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 08:46 PM

I really like puddle lights. What's not to like about them?

Are they to show where the potholes are?

#11 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 10 April 2024 - 09:06 PM

If you live in the sticks where light pollution is less and it gets properly dark, puddle lights are pretty useful to light up your footing as you get into the car (easy to step into something undesireable... - a pothole even to turn your ankle)

#12 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 10 April 2024 - 11:06 PM

Unfortunately I just had the experience of driving a 2023 vehicle ("Mitsubishi" Outlander).

To start out it was way too large for no reason, driving an actual tank down the road would probably feel less like a tank.

Then I get to the features...

Automatic wipers which turn on randomly. They can also be automatically running at full speed due to rain but aren't programmed to turn on the headlights at the same time, you'd think wipers also means headlights.

Sensors all over the thing, they get a bit of rain on them and then there is constant flashing lights because they are "obstructed".

I didn't even work out how to operate the rear view mirror, it had a power button on it but all it seemed to do was turn a light on. Luckily it was positioned close enough already.

The gear selector might as well be a cheap game controller, it was basically a cheap toggle switch forward and backward.

They can't even program cruise control correctly, if you set it at 100 km/h for example it will then consistently do 101 km/h

I played around with the cruise control which keeps a distance between the vehicle in front. It was ok except for in traffic. If you went to brake such as for someone merging in, it would stop a lot quicker than you expect.

Push button start. Manufacturers moved away from it decades ago for a reason.

I changed the automatic mirror fold from on unlock/lock to with the ignition. As it was, every time I wanted to get something out it would unfold the mirrors unnecessarily.

The reverse camera isn't accurate at all.

Edited by 68+86auto, 10 April 2024 - 11:07 PM.

#13 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 07:26 AM

Electrically operated handbrake. Never had one thankfully but don't see the point. A colleague said he had to go to a main dealer (Vaux) to have it reset by laptop so he could change the rear pads (not sure how true this is...)

#14 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 07:54 AM

Electrically operated handbrake. Never had one thankfully but don't see the point.

Absolutely agree with despising these.

The only point is that they save idiots, who forget to take the handbrake off, from burning out the brakes. They also help unskilled drivers to perform "hill starts".

When the government claim to be keen to improve road safety, why do they permit "driver aids" which allow the unskilled and, more often than not, uninvolved to be in charge of large, lethal vehicles on public roads?

#15 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 09:24 AM

to be fair though, if it stops some complete twonk rolling backwards into me because they can't work out how to do a hill start, then fair enough

some people do need a car that does everything for them so they don't just go round breaking stuff and killing people

that said though I do think they should make the test harder and the lessons more involved judging by the standard of driving I see on a regular basis round my way

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users