Photo
- - - - -

My First 100 Miles In A 55 Year Old Mini.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 alpder

alpder

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Local Club: MCR

Posted 16 April 2024 - 09:57 AM

Door hinges: With the external hinges, usually it's the top hinge that wears so that the door sags. The top hinge can be adjusted forwards a bit by loosening the nuts under the wing, lifting the door, then retightening. A small 1/4"-drive 7/16" socket can usually be wiggled onto the nuts, though it's tight to get in there. Be warned though that, if they're significantly corroded, you may find that either the studs snap off or they just tear out of the hinge. You may also find that the hinge is already pushed forwards against the outside seam, in which case to get any movement you'll need to grind a bit off the hinge. If the sag is bad, then a new hinge can be bought (but it'll need to be painted).

With all these "little" jobs on a classic, it's well worth DIYing them... otherwise ownership gets expensive.

by the way, paying for TMF membership gets 7% discount at MiniSpares. So membership just about pays for itself if you spend more than £70 on parts each year. Which you will :-)

#17 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 09:59 AM

I'm pretty sure going by recent posts this is a recent rebuild, there's a series of pictures that showed a lot of the work done 

https://www.gbminigarage.co.uk/vml

theoretically it should be safe to play around with fixings and not have anything snap off 

Edited by stuart bowes, 16 April 2024 - 10:01 AM.

#18 alpder

alpder

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 12:59 PM

Is that the same GbMiniGarage who ebayed a "nut-and-bolt rebuilt 1960 Mini Se7en van from the first week of production"? With some incredibly rare features for the year, what with it having a corrugated roof and a "Mini 95" badge on the back.

https://www.ebay.co....iIAAOSwh-RlKXt0

#19 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 01:05 PM

I have no knowledge of them as a seller or their reputation etc ?  I just remember seeing the link on the ad and thought it might be useful as a reference 

#20 alpder

alpder

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 01:16 PM

Good spot. And definitely worth for the OP to download and store those images for reference (and to show future potential buyers).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users