12 replies to this topic

#1 chunkyjh

chunkyjh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:50 PM

Initially it would only work over 50 mph. Then i cahnged my engine and put on a new cable and it wont work at all. The cable is correctly fitted and spins when not connected to the speedo. I have connected it correctly to the speedo but nothing registers. Do i need a new speedo or can i replace whatever is worn inside of it? HELP!

#2 markc

markc

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Local Club: None yet!

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:00 PM

have u tried anotehr speedo just to check?

#3 Danny Mini 30

Danny Mini 30

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:02 PM

Maybe check it is totally screwed down of gearbox, it is quite easy to think it is on properly because of a bit of dirt on the thread.

The cable inside the covering is exactly the right length, therefore if it is not down prefectly at both ends it doesn't engage with gearbox/speedo, best way is to pull it out of the casing a bit on the g/b end, place into the square peg on g/box, then slide the covering down, cleaning the thread first...then attach speedo end and it should be fine, if not something is damaged.

Good luck. I'd defo double check tho, have done this wrong myself a few times!!!

#4 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:02 PM

I'm having the same problem, I just gave up in the end. I took the clocks apart and managed to get it working when it was just the speedo bit connected with no dash or anything. I think its because the inner bit isn't going in far enough or its get no grip. Sorry not able to help but I'm in the same boat.

#5 chunkyjh

chunkyjh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:04 PM

I connected it to the gearbox and left it off the speedo dangling inside the car and the cable turned. The cable is definately ok. It must be the speedo??

#6 Danny Mini 30

Danny Mini 30

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:20 PM

It'll still turn even if it is not screwed down properly on g/box, the problem is if it isn't screwed right down the internal cable isn't long enough.

To check get a micro screw driver and push the internal cable into the casing, if it goes down further than the length of the internal lug on the speedo then it is defo not screwed right down on the g/box, otherwise your speedo if fcuk'd :-)

Good luck, hope ya get it sorted, really frustrating these sorts of probs you'd think would go smoothly!!

#7 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:17 PM

You could also try disconnecting it from your speedo, jacking up one wheel and turning it round. If this causes the speedo calbe to turn you know its something to do with the cable engaging the speedo, or the speedo itself.

#8 chunkyjh

chunkyjh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:08 PM

im pretty darn sure its the speedo now. Ive disconnected the cable from the gearbox and run it trhough a drill and the speedo goes round a bit but wont drop back to zero. Is there a compatibility issue with cables and clocks? The cable i have seems to be almost flat and the old cable was square?? Also its a 998 speedo and a 1275 engine??

#9 philc

philc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:22 PM

it may be the inner cable being too short, they are different lengths dependant on the car etc

#10 Danny Mini 30

Danny Mini 30

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:44 PM

Mines a 1275 in a 998, same cable and speedo with no problems...

#11 chunkyjh

chunkyjh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:02 PM

mmmn, got to be the speedo then. Gutted they're bout £100!

#12 Danny Mini 30

Danny Mini 30

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:06 PM

I know it obvious and I keep saying it, but are you definately sure that the outer housing and attached screw up base are screwed right down on gearbox? Sorry to repeat but just a couple of mil will make all the difference, unless you stretched the outer casing previously, thus making the cable inside too short? If so I wonder if you could trim it a few mil on the speedo side and glue the end back on, that would sort it if gluing is possible?

And maybe you could take the refill out of a pen, stick a chunky match or square peg shaped object into the hole, put the pen in a drill, slide the peg into the speedo, holding it still and run the drill (not too fast) and see if speedo moves, prob be able to get it to move spinning with fingers too actually, those long fat cooks matches would be ideal!! May save ya wasting money on a speedo when not needed!

Edited by Danny Mini 30, 20 November 2006 - 09:20 PM.

#13 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:20 PM

There are two types of speedo, the early Smiths clocks and a later 'Nippon' one. Thats all I know, sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users