6 replies to this topic

#1 Gaz66

Gaz66

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 05:07 PM

Has anyone any experience of having an engine built by KAD or MED.
What sort of cost can be expected presuming all parts are supplied?

Edited by Gaz66, 20 April 2024 - 05:08 PM.

#2 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 05:16 PM

I don't think you'll find MED build engines anymore, pretty certain they only produce/supply components.
KAD are absolutely top notch, but I've only ever bought components and had machining work and block race prep carried out by them. Never had an engine build carried out by them.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,959 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 20 April 2024 - 09:13 PM

Go talk to Richard at Redline in Brighouse.

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 20 April 2024 - 10:26 PM

Supplied by you or them ?

#5 Gaz66

Gaz66

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 11:20 PM

Supplied by you or them ?

Supplied by me but will be gathered from KAD,MED, Swiftune etc

#6 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 21 April 2024 - 07:48 AM

I like the way Bill Richards Racing do business as you are only as good as your last job

Of course you may have to sell a kidney  :)

Company description

Who we are…… We are a company dedicated to tuning, primarily, BMC/Rover 'A' series engines for all forms of motorsport and road use. Led by founder Bill Richards, our small team of committed engineers and technicians will provide you with both products and service that is unsurpassed for quality and value. What we do…… We build engines and prepare cars for competition as well as road use – see Services for details. Although Minis are our speciality, we will prepare engines for other marques including MG, Triumph, Austin Healey and Ford. We offer a bespoke service in which the engine we prepare will be matched precisely to your needs whether this be racing (Sevens, Miglias, Mighty Minis, historic saloons or grass tracking), rallying (historic or contemporary, stage or road), sprinting, hillclimbing or just everyday fast road use. What we don't do…… We do not supply D.Y. engine kits or bolt on tuning parts. We see the engine, gearbox, ignition system and carburation as a complete package and we take an uncompromising view on the quality of our engineering. In no circumstances will we cut corners or use parts which we consider to be gimmicky or of inferior quality. Furthermore we will not fit a tuned engine into an unsafe car. An International clientele…… As well as the home market we have numerous overseas customers so if you live outside the UK we can most definitely help. We have a devoted following of clients in Europe and the USA. Shipments of engines worldwide is no problem and if circumstances permit we will supervise their installation and setup.

#7 ace01

ace01

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 21 April 2024 - 10:02 AM

I think I can safely say that the better engine builders are not too keen on parts being supplied.  They tend to have preferred suppliers or specifications.  They will also want to build the gear box as well.  Mainly because warranty problems are rather more complicated if a customer supplied gearbox lets go and damages the engine.

Cost will depend on what you are going to use the engine for.  I paid for a sprint and hillclimb engine and box about two years ago.  Cost was close to 7k.  I supplied the block, crank, head, diff and had the carbs rebuilt separately.

What I got is a well tuned engine that delivers good torque low down when I need it and revs well, and a gearbox with good ratios that also changes well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users