https://www.ebay.co....tm/156178181841

#2 Lowestoftmodder

Lowestoftmodder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 April 2024 - 09:41 PM

Dry stored since purchase but has rust on the doors and quarters plus looks to have had paintwork..

#3 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 09:45 AM

Agree, doors are a different colour to the rest of it!

#4 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 09:49 AM

is there anything more shameful than buying a car and then sticking it in storage and not driving it

set it free

not at that price though lol it may be decent but so what you can buy a new shell and get it sprayed for less.. although I suppose then you do have some more work to do..

Edited by stuart bowes, 23 April 2024 - 09:50 AM.

#5 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 10:13 AM

too true, but I suspect its been done for investment. They would have probably been better sticking the money in a the bank or a bond of some sort for 40 years. The purchase price in 1984 was £3865, adjusted for inflation is around £15k now, but that doesnt account for insurance and storage costs!

Also, and perhaps sadly for the seller, Mini 25's don't appear to be as valuable as other models.

is there anything more shameful than buying a car and then sticking it in storage and not driving it

set it free

not at that price though lol it may be decent but so what you can buy a new shell and get it sprayed for less.. although I suppose then you do have some more work to do..

Edited by beardylondon, 23 April 2024 - 10:17 AM.

#6 Lowestoftmodder

Lowestoftmodder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 10:22 AM

It’s a very nice little mini but there are a few things I need to understand..

At 40 miles I’d expect no carpet wear, seat wear or pedal wear other than scratches.
Dry stored since new - I’d expect zero rot in the panels and or seams
At 40 miles with dry storage I wouldn’t expect panel warps, misfit or repairs and or mismatched paint

Im not saying the mileage is being misrepresented as such it’s just that I do have questions as it’s such a high value at £25k
I’ve seen minis at 10k miles that appear like this but at 40 miles the only ones I’ve seen have significantly less wear and appear completely mint factory fresh

Thoughts?

Attached File  IMG_4588.jpeg   28.48K   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_4589.jpeg   56.58K   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_4590.jpeg   45.93K   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_4591.jpeg   37.09K   0 downloads

Edited by Lowestoftmodder, 23 April 2024 - 06:08 PM.

#7 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 11:06 AM

to me, the odometer doesn't like right;  the wheels drive right to left so don't understand why the 10K wheel would appear to have shifted off it's line after only 40miles

i'm sure there is a rational/reasonable explanation...

#8 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 11:25 AM

Good spots, the explanation is that the seller is perhaps trying it on!

to me, the odometer doesn't like right; the wheels drive right to left so don't understand why the 10K wheel would appear to have shifted off it's line after only 40miles

#9 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,820 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 23 April 2024 - 11:27 AM

BL cars often had rust sealed into the seams so even 'standard' dry storage conditions in a garage would not prevent rust eventually breaking through under the paint. Back in the day bare metal body shells could often be seen on the back of lorries in transit between factories or stored in the open with little protection before going into the paint shop by which time there would be surface rust hidden in any body seams even if the light surface rust was removed from main panel surfaces affected. Especially during factory worker strikes when production lines (and body panels/ finished/ part finished cars seen waiting in storage outside) could be stopped/paused for weeks or months at a time There were also no long term rust warranties on new cars back in the day for manufacturers like BL to worry about...

Panel warps, misfit or repairs and or mismatched/orange peel paint would also often get through poor quality control and the Dealership Pre-Delivery Inspections (PDI) often were not carried out to a high standard....ask any new BL car buyer back in the day! Also one of the reasons imported Japanese cars started to greatly increase their market share in the UK from the 1970's.

Edited by mab01uk, 23 April 2024 - 11:39 AM.

#10 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 11:30 AM

unless it was 39(9) and just turning to 40(0)

#11 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 April 2024 - 01:37 PM

Dry stored is not dehumidified,and as Ethel says they were terribly variable from new.I would venture that driving it would soon display a myriad of faults due to age and inactivity.Cannot fault the seller for trying though.Steve..

#12 Lowestoftmodder

Lowestoftmodder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 02:11 PM

To me dry stored means dry as in dry, not a humid shed or garage etc.
The position of rust and obvious repairs just give me questions really. That and the wear n tear.

Absolutely agree about the shells having rust especially with this year but this is rot and not spidered rust under the paint that creeps like you would get in a damp garage etc.

The rot suggests water running down the inside of the door past the seal and collecting against the lower inner door skin. This is not factory surface rust that’s moved out due to humidity. This is a rotten through door skin.
Well to me in my experiences anyway

At £25k dry means dry to me. It’s just the price seems to suggest this is the best of the best and I struggle to see that is all

All power to the seller but these are all fair questions when selling something at the upper limits of value

Edited by Lowestoftmodder, 23 April 2024 - 02:19 PM.

#13 Lowestoftmodder

Lowestoftmodder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 02:12 PM

to me, the odometer doesn't like right; the wheels drive right to left so don't understand why the 10K wheel would appear to have shifted off it's line after only 40miles

Missed that, will go an have another look
Well spotted

*edit.. maybe? But one thing I do question is why all the digits look high from the start? and as they scroll down I wouldn’t expect the first digit to be so high. If anything it should be centre?
Absolutely not saying this car has done 100k plus miles or anything like it.. just an observation

Edited by Lowestoftmodder, 23 April 2024 - 02:21 PM.

#14 Lowestoftmodder

Lowestoftmodder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 April 2024 - 02:17 PM

https://www.itsamini...miles-from-new/

About the same if not better? It’s done 15.5k miles

#15 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 23 April 2024 - 04:16 PM

Lot of rust in the engine compartment.

Top radiator bracket.

The block itself has a few bits of rust on it.

Should there be an Engine number tag riveted onto the block or was it just stamped straight onto the block for the 25. Note the rust there if stamped will be difficult to see it.

Quite a bit on the bulkhead cross beam all the way along looking through all the gaps.

I wouldn't be surprised if the heater valve is seized

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users