#1 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 09:53 AM

Hey guys,

So I replaced all the usual stuff on the gearbox, put it back into the box, slightly tightened it up and an issue. Now the gears spin freely on the shaft, I can easily lock 1st gear but good luck with 4th. The reverse is true if I lock 4th gear and again good luck locking 1st. (Both instances I can do by hand) Trying to do both to torque it up - thoughts?

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,956 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 24 April 2024 - 10:02 AM

Rod or Remote shift ?

#3 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 10:25 AM

Rod or Remote shift ?

Rod change - changes baulk rings, all bearings, all springs detent you name it I did it - etc

Edited by postve, 24 April 2024 - 10:26 AM.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,956 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 24 April 2024 - 11:01 AM

OK ta.

It sounds to me like you still have the interlock in the bell-cranks. Take the detent steel tube out and spin the interlock spool 1800.

#5 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 11:10 AM

OK ta.

It sounds to me like you still have the interlock in the bell-cranks. Take the detent steel tube out and spin the interlock spool 1800.

Damn had to do a search on your terms Spider - lol - are you telling me I have to remove the rod change selector - praying- and spin that 180 - hoping I can do without removing the main shaft again as have it all buttoned up and would be a pain in the arse?

#6 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 11:35 AM

yeah you need to remove the detent ball and spring, and sleeve from under the RH drive flange, then you can rotate the interlock  out of the ball cranks, fiddlily with the diff on, but doable.

#7 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 11:43 AM

yeah you need to remove the detent ball and spring, and sleeve from under the RH drive flange, then you can rotate the interlock out of the ball cranks, fiddlily with the diff on, but doable.

Got it and let me do that and report back - thx guys!!

#8 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 11:43 AM

One word of advice;  after the interlock is out of the way, put something between the 3rd/4th synchro hub and the end of the gearbox casing to prevent the synchro hub outer from overextending and releasing the locking springs/ball bearings 

..refitting them with the main shaft in place is a major PITA

Edited by KTS, 24 April 2024 - 11:44 AM.

#9 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 11:53 AM

For christs sake, adjusting and gave a little tap to move gear into fourth, selector gear silver ball bearings jumped right out - now I gotta pull the damn main shaft out - AGAIN!!!

#10 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 11:58 AM

One word of advice;  after the interlock is out of the way, put something between the 3rd/4th synchro hub and the end of the gearbox casing to prevent the synchro hub outer from overextending and releasing the locking springs/ball bearings 

lol - I wish I read this earlier as exactly what happened- I am gonna try in place today - I refuse to remove the main shaft again - lol

#11 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 12:58 PM

We’ve all done it…more than once! 😄It’s not too bad getting them back in with the shaft in place, it’s normally finding the one ball and spring at the other end of the workshop that’s the problem.

#12 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 01:54 PM

One word of advice; after the interlock is out of the way, put something between the 3rd/4th synchro hub and the end of the gearbox casing to prevent the synchro hub outer from overextending and releasing the locking springs/ball bearings

Any recos KTS as I will be damned if I can get it out of fourth, now that it is over extended , without removing main shaft - any tricks?? Selector shaft is locked like concrete now cannot slide it back and forth at all?

Edited by postve, 24 April 2024 - 01:56 PM.

#13 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 02:09 PM

One word of advice; after the interlock is out of the way, put something between the 3rd/4th synchro hub and the end of the gearbox casing to prevent the synchro hub outer from overextending and releasing the locking springs/ball bearings

Any recos KTS as I will be damned if I can get it out of fourth, now that it is over extended , without removing main shaft - any tricks?? Selector shaft is locked like concrete now cannot slide it back and forth at all?

the selector shaft is likely to have trapped by the interlock levers which is possibly why you can't get it out of 4th

it will free up, you just need to wriggle the interlock levers and selector shaft 'til it releases...

#14 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 02:34 PM

the selector shaft is likely to have trapped by the interlock levers which is possibly why you can't get it out of 4th

it will free up, you just need to wriggle the interlock levers and selector shaft 'til it releases...

Ahh okay, next break I get or after work will give it a wack - well, a tap!! thx again M8 - thank god for this forum!!!!

#15 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 02:36 PM

We’ve all done it…more than once! It’s not too bad getting them back in with the shaft in place, it’s normally finding the one ball and spring at the other end of the workshop that’s the problem.

LOL - yep been through that and ordered a bunch because me and my butter fingers will lose those silver balls all day long - also drop them in a ziplock bag as I go along..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users