40 replies to this topic

#16 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 02:48 PM

One word of advice; after the interlock is out of the way, put something between the 3rd/4th synchro hub and the end of the gearbox casing to prevent the synchro hub outer from overextending and releasing the locking springs/ball bearings

..refitting them with the main shaft in place is a major PITA

Any recos KTS as I will be damned if I can get it out of fourth, now that it is over extended , without removing main shaft - any tricks?? Selector shaft is locked like concrete now cannot slide it back and forth at all?

the selector shaft is likely to have trapped by the interlock levers which is possibly why you can't get it out of 4th

it will free up, you just need to wriggle the interlock levers and selector shaft 'til it releases...

Ahh okay, next break I get or after work will give it a wack - well, a tap!! thx again M8 - thank god for this forum!!!!

although it's locked solid it shouldn't take much effort to unstick it;  it's just a question of finding the locking piece..

trying to use too much force to unstick it may end up just jamming it together even more

good luck

#17 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 03:36 PM

Thx all and problem is its extended all the way past fourth, balls have popped out and its locked up - will fiddle with it and do my prayers along the way

#18 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 04:22 PM

OMG - I got it - whew!!!!!! Now back to the original issue!!

#19 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Sussex

Posted 24 April 2024 - 05:43 PM

For christs sake, adjusting and gave a little tap to move gear into fourth, selector gear silver ball bearings jumped right out - now I gotta pull the damn main shaft out - AGAIN!!!

Been there, don't feel too bad a few of us have learnt that the hard way

#20 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,956 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 24 April 2024 - 06:41 PM

Gearboxes ares such a joy :D

Good work on keeping at it and getting there in the end.

We’ve all done it…more than once! It’s not too bad getting them back in with the shaft in place, it’s normally finding the one ball and spring at the other end of the workshop that’s the problem.

LOL - yep been through that and ordered a bunch because me and my butter fingers will lose those silver balls all day long - also drop them in a ziplock bag as I go along..

Tip: If I suspect the detent balls in the hubs are going to let fly, I get everything ready n place, then just before knocking things in to place, dropping a rag over the mainshaft.

#21 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 April 2024 - 09:24 PM

Gearboxes ares such a joy :D

Good work on keeping at it and getting there in the end.

We’ve all done it…more than once! It’s not too bad getting them back in with the shaft in place, it’s normally finding the one ball and spring at the other end of the workshop that’s the problem.

LOL - yep been through that and ordered a bunch because me and my butter fingers will lose those silver balls all day long - also drop them in a ziplock bag as I go along..

Tip: If I suspect the detent balls in the hubs are going to let fly, I get everything ready n place, then just before knocking things in to place, dropping a rag over the mainshaft.

Will keep that in mind but where I screwed up is I was accidentally pushing on the selector itself rather than the fork (WARNING< WARNING< WARNING!!!) which put too much pressure and off she went - Interestingly enough, took 10 minutes to out back together in the box, got experience when they flew off the first time when I removed it originally during the build on the shaft - lol  - sort of like an expert now...

#22 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 02:09 AM

Humm so went out tonight and unlocked again but struggling to lock 4th still can someone advise this turning selector 180 degrees - I checked and position is correct for the notches on the shaft so don’t get it - again can manually get into gear but damned if I can lock into fourth?

Mine is positioned exactly as you see in this vid

https://youtu.be/jaH...3jtVA4jDhbpmYh1

Edited by postve, 26 April 2024 - 02:12 AM.

#23 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,956 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 03:37 AM

I'm sorry, I didn't look at your clip there, most I find a bit long winded.

I think this is where you are at ?

UIPffb3.jpg

I also find it helpful on most boxes to pull the Shift Input Shaft as far out (the back) of the gearbox as it will come. It will also bring the Spool with it. Sometimes the Forks catch on it otherwise.

If you'd like to be sure you don't over-shoot again when selecting 4th, cut a piece of 4 - 5 mm thick flat bar, dill an 8 mm hole to bolt on here;-

du1VKHv.jpg

Place a flat washer between the flat bar and the gasket face, and nip it up.

#24 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:39 AM

Thank you so much spider and ya I can pull the shaft all the way back and rotate it and will fiddle again today. This image is great and the video is very very short so take a peak - like 5 min max. One point though, from what I see you must have those notches positioned to slip between those gear slots so struggling to grasp the 180 turn but, let me try again. also, notice I am always restricted to upload like 5.16k do I have to go back and delete old messages with images? I would love to post a picture but limited in what I can upload?

So again just to recap, I can easily push by hand into 1st or 2nd, I now see a little bit of movement by hand into 4th whilst having locked into 1st - so something has improved but will fiddle with the 180 today and get back to ya - I can see by looking into the shaft that those notches obviously are blocking locking it into 4th - let me try again

Edited by postve, 26 April 2024 - 09:50 AM.

#25 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:53 AM

for images just upload somewhere else and embed the link into your post

like this site https://imgbb.com/  others are available 

Edited by stuart bowes, 26 April 2024 - 09:54 AM.

#26 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,956 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 10:03 AM

I looked at that clip (there's 3 minutes of my life I won't get back !) and sorry, but I didn't see him spin the spool over the 1800.

To post your photos here, you are best off using a free photo hosting web site. Imjur is popular for this.

<Edit: well,,,, that was foolish !  After suggesting imjur, I've just tried to up-load a couple of photos only the get a 'ooops - try again later' message !

Edited by Spider, 26 April 2024 - 10:19 AM.

#27 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 10:08 AM

If you have it as per the video then:

Ensure it is neutral (all 3 of the forks lined up)

Rotate the selector shaft as far anticlockwise as it will go - there should then be nothing in the forks.

Pull the selector shaft and barrel as far back as you can

Now all three forks, and hence selectors, can move independently and you should be able to select two gears (personally I also slide reverse gear into place too)

#28 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,956 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 06:23 PM

OK Imjur is playing the game.

Inline with what Graeme and I suggested earlier, first pull the steel sleeve that the detent ball and spring sit inside.

Then rotate the Shift Shaft 1800;-

1STytSp.jpg

Then pull the shaft as far out as it will come, the Interlock Spool will come with it;-

T4bfzrd.jpg

#29 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:10 PM

Thx guys and so far so good, I can easily move into 1st and also 3rd still having issues with 4th but likely have to fiddle with it - will advise!!

#30 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:23 PM

So I got it into 4th but no lock

https://ibb.co/B6pgvxH

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)