#1 partsguypaule

partsguypaule

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Local Club: SAMOA

Posted 23 May 2024 - 01:50 PM

Hi there, I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have a 93 that was originally an SPI. I have searched the forums, but can't seem to find information that is as helpful as I need for my current issue. I have fitted my car with LED bulbs all around, and most everything is working fine. My hazards work fine, and my turn indicators do not. When the car is off, I get the rapid flash issue, but with the car running and enough voltage through the system the indicators work fine, when they work. There are plenty of times that I will move the stalk to indicate a direction and nothing happens. I can turn it in either direction and will not get indicators. It may be in my head, but I feel like perhaps the steering wheel clock position may have something to do with the sporadic nature of when the indicators work. I figured the cheap easy fix would be to start by swapping out my flasher unit to an LED compatible one, but I can't find the silly little thing. My car is a 1993 JDM imported SPI. I have chased the wires down from the stalk, and they cluster up behind the heater unit. I have an open style dash, so I can move the carpeting a bit and see the wires come through the base of the dash and into the firewall going into the engine compartment. Unless it's hidden behind the heater unit, I can't seem to find the flasher. When the indicators are on, I can't find a clicking under the bonnet to indicate that any of the three relays mounted to the firewall are a flasher unit. And I can't confirm it's a flasher unit issue, as hazards work fine, and when the indicators do come on, they work fine. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 lippo

lippo

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 04:05 PM

Probably doesn't help you, but I had a similar issue recently which I traced to a faulty hazard light switch. The hazards worked fine and when I flicked the switch fully off, the indicators didn't work. If I moved the rocker switch slightly down, the indicators came on. I just dissembled the switch and rebuilt it and the indicators now work.

Not sure on the location of your relay, my car's older.

#3 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 23 May 2024 - 04:14 PM

My Mini is slightly older but the flasher unit is mounted behind the instrument brinicle on the metal bracket that supports all the instruments. The first thing I would do is replace the indicator unit with a suitable on for LEDs, as LEDs don't draw enough current to make a traditional one work reliably. From memory the hazard warning flasher is mounted under the bonnet.

#4 alpder

alpder

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Local Club: MCR

Posted 23 May 2024 - 06:11 PM

An LED-compatible flasher will work normally, with LEDs. But, when an LED bulb fails, you won't get the double-speed flashing to tell you. That's because LEDs draw so little current that the difference between a working and non-working one is pretty much undetectable.

Similar problem occurs if you use compatible LED bulbs (which will have load resistors in them to make them draw extra current to simulate an incandescent). These should work with a normal flasher unit. But, again, if the LED fails the load resistor in the bulb may still draw the normal current, so the flasher doesn't detect the fail.

These "features" may be a key reason why E-marked LEDs are hard to come by - just a guess.

Edited by alpder, 23 May 2024 - 06:13 PM.

#5 partsguypaule

partsguypaule

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Local Club: SAMOA

Posted 23 May 2024 - 06:50 PM

An LED-compatible flasher will work normally, with LEDs. But, when an LED bulb fails, you won't get the double-speed flashing to tell you. That's because LEDs draw so little current that the difference between a working and non-working one is pretty much undetectable.

Similar problem occurs if you use compatible LED bulbs (which will have load resistors in them to make them draw extra current to simulate an incandescent). These should work with a normal flasher unit. But, again, if the LED fails the load resistor in the bulb may still draw the normal current, so the flasher doesn't detect the fail.

These "features" may be a key reason why E-marked LEDs are hard to come by - just a guess.

The bulbs are brand new, and all four are working, no issues with hazards, just turn indicators. I did get compatible LED's and they seem to be working with the standard flasher, but I still think I'm going to replace it with an LED compatible one.

#6 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 24 May 2024 - 09:38 AM

I think (know!) I'm just an old grump, but I don't know why people bother with the hassle of moving to LED indicator bulbs!  Of all the things that have given me hassle on Minis over the past 35 years, the indicator bulbs (and flasher units) aren't one of them!  Mine seem to be bright, clear and work well, and they're just normal bulbs.  In fact they're clearer than some modern cars with terrible LED indicators, the new Corsa being a prime example!

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,484 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 May 2024 - 11:27 PM

Does off mean ignition off or ignition on, but engine not turning?

I think it should have a single electronic flasher unit & a relay that only connects the indicator circuit to it when the ignition is on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users