#1 Lenhamracer

Lenhamracer

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 02:04 PM

Hi,

I still have a problem with my 1998 MPI. It draws around 170ma from the battery and after a few days (1-2 weeks) the battery is empty. I checked all the fuses and the c4 fuse draws 80ma. It is for the radio, horn relay and?? I disconnected the radio and still 80ma. So the radio is fine. I took all the yellow relays out of the engine bay - still the same. Where is the horn relay?? Is it in the car behind the dash?

70ma are drawn by fuse number b6 which is responsible for the alarm and so on. This might be normal??

Thank you very much 

Thomas

#2 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 24 May 2024 - 03:26 AM

Are you sure you disconne ted the radio completely, depending on model there can be more than 1 supply to it.

#3 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 24 May 2024 - 04:22 AM

How are you measuring the current?

If the horn works then It won't be the horn relay.

#4 Lenhamracer

Lenhamracer

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 May 2024 - 09:49 AM

Yes I disconnected the radio completely.

I measured the current by connecting an ammeter in the battery cable. 

#5 nichmoss

nichmoss

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 09:58 AM

According to Haynes, C4 runs Radio, Clock, brake system warning light, direction indicator/hazard warning unit, alarm indicator light, interior light.

B6 runs the alarm and horn.

According to the Owner's handbook, everything is the same but C4 is indicated as "alarm" and not just "alarm warning light". That's in addition to B6. Could just be the warning light. It's an LED so is probably taking 15-30mA. 80mA seems a bit high but not out of the question.

150mA is one Ah after about seven hours so, 3-4Ah per day. If you're running a 55Ah battery then ten days will see it essentially dead. I use a 70Ah battery in mine.

Many people say it's the immobiliser that kills the battery on these and from your figures, that seems about right. I run a continuous trickle charger from NOCO on mine.

Good luck, Chris

#6 Deeppockets

Deeppockets

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 08:17 AM

I have experienced issues with battery discharging. I have resorted to fitting a "Discarnect" battery isolator when left standing.

The alarm, of course, is not active with the battery disconnected which is a risk - though when the battery is flat it is also off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users