6 replies to this topic

#1 Colakurt

Colakurt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 06:10 PM

I am currently using 13" ultralite wheels on my Mini with a set of A539 fitted. But they are starting to age(8 years) and I am thinking about replacing them. But the question is what to replace them with.

I am considering changing from the 13" to 12" still in a wide tyre since I got the sportpack wheel arches. The reason for the size change would be a hope for a better ride since the profile would change from 50mm to 60mm tyre thickness. But I am not sure if the difference in handling is worth the expense of new rims?

As for the tires, I am only driving the car in the summer, and avoid the rain the best I can, so I was thinking of trying the Nankang AR-1 which is be a more trackday minded tyre, but how would it perform on the road? It seems to be road legal. 

The car is a summer toy car with a 1380cc engine rolled in at 98hk in a fast road setup with 8,4” front disc brakes, which is why I am considering the AR-1 as a replacement.

Edited by Colakurt, 23 May 2024 - 06:36 PM.

#2 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 23 May 2024 - 06:20 PM

If you're going to the expense of buying wheels, I'd recommend going the whole hog and get 10" wheels.

The improvement in ride and handling will make you glad you did.

They look much better, too.

#3 Colakurt

Colakurt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 06:36 PM

Sadly 10” is not an option for me as I got 8,4” discs in the front, and changing brakes is not my intention. 

Another option for the tyre is the Nankang NS-2R. 

#4 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 08:26 PM

My car corners on rails on it`s standard Rover Minilights and 165/60-12"  Yokohama A539 

The car gets pushed hard with a fair amount of track driving and I personally think it`s the best set up for handling and grip, if people can`t keep up it must be good :)

My advice would be to borrow a set of 12`s and go for a spin around the block and you won`t go back to 13`s and everything you thought about A539`s in 13" form is thrown out of the window.

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,889 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 24 May 2024 - 08:38 AM

Also check you are happy with 12" wheels in the Sportpack Arches as depending on the offset/spacers/tyre width 12" wheels can look a bit lost in the wide Sportpack arches, giving an 'over-arched, look.

If you swap to different arches check what holes and paintwork will need doing and also allowing for the cut-a-way front wings to clear the original 6 x 13" wheels and 175/50 tyres.

#6 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 24 May 2024 - 06:47 PM

Just a comment about the profile, it’s not 50mm and 60mm, a 50 profile tyre has a height 50% of its’ width, and likewise a 60 profile tyre has a height 60% of its’ width. It’s referred to as the “aspect ratio” and it’s not a set dimension.
A 50 profile tyre can be the same height as a narrower 60 profile tyre.

#7 Colakurt

Colakurt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 09:06 PM

For the arches it seems that if I go for the 6x12 they will actually go further out than my current setup with about 5mm on the rim and 12mm on the tyre edge, so I need to check that i still got the clearing i need when turning the steering wheel in full lock. I got the sportspack arches and 8,4" disc brakes in the front, and drums with built in spacers in the back, so hopefully the 6x12 would still align with my arches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users