9 replies to this topic

#1 Moggyman60

Moggyman60

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 09:51 AM

Can anyone help with an ongoing problem i've had with my front suspension for sometime.

Everytime i drive over a bump in the road the sound i get from the front of the car is a loud metalic bang is the only way i can describe it.

Last year i bought and fitted some proteo ajustable front shocks as they have 7 different settings so i thought

i would get the perfect ride, however it's never been any different on any setting?  am i doing something wrong?

Is there anything that i should have done when fitting them?  i have been running with the uprated pollybush

rebound rubber fitted to the subframe, it also wasn't any different with the old rubber rebound stop fitted!

This is beginning to get to the stage wehere i don't want to take the car out and it's spoiling the pleasure of owning a classic mini!!  any ideas anyone?

Andy :ohno:

#2 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 10:00 AM

Suspension cone busted through the nylon cup on the top arm maybe

#3 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 May 2024 - 04:01 PM

It could be that the softest setting is still too hard.Is it running out of travel?rubbing on something?missing some bush locating washers?Just thoughts,Steve..

#4 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 04:48 PM

Could be anything, top or bottom ball joint, top arm pin worn or loose, fulcrum pin loose, track rod end, shock pin, shock bush, top shock mount, nylon cup worn, any of the front subframe mounts, engine mount, tie bar bolt or rubbers, exhaust bracket on the gearbox or even a loose wheel bearing but you should feel that on the brake pedal.

That should get you started

#5 Moggyman60

Moggyman60

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 05:57 PM

The Trouble is everything on the car is new as it’s gone through a complete resto and it’s been like this since the rebuild, annoying really as these shocks were expensive!
Thanks for your replies. Andy

#6 alpder

alpder

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Local Club: MCR

Posted 25 May 2024 - 08:27 PM

I guess the next step of diagnosis might be to swap shocks side-to-side and see if the noise follows the shock. Or just take one (or both) shocks off, for a brief test-drive somewhere quiet.

Edited by alpder, 25 May 2024 - 08:27 PM.

#7 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 25 May 2024 - 08:44 PM

Could be anything, top or bottom ball joint, top arm pin worn or loose, fulcrum pin loose, track rod end, shock pin, shock bush, top shock mount, nylon cup worn, any of the front subframe mounts, engine mount, tie bar bolt or rubbers, exhaust bracket on the gearbox or even a loose wheel bearing but you should feel that on the brake pedal.

This, don’t assume, have you actually checked for play?

My advice, thoroughly check for any movement, id suspect it’s one of the above.
All suspension components torqued to spec, ball joints shimmed correctly?

#8 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 25 May 2024 - 10:33 PM

This, don’t assume, have you actually checked for play?

My advice, thoroughly check for any movement, id suspect it’s one of the above.
All suspension components torqued to spec, ball joints shimmed correctly?

I agree with this that you may have something loose that has relaxed after (re)fitting if everything was removed/replaced during the resto

#9 Moggyman60

Moggyman60

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 May 2024 - 04:11 AM

I will strip everything back down and start again from the beginning, i have only done just short of 2000 miles.

Thanks again.

#10 Richard e

Richard e

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 May 2024 - 08:47 AM

You’ve got a good list of things to look at - but if all newish then it might be something loose. I had a similar sounding noise - it was the shock absorber bracket - that metal plate to the inner wing - the four captive bolts were loose and a quick tighten and noise gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users