Photo
- - - - -

Hif44, Med Air Filter And Bulkhead Clash!

engine

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Moose94

Moose94

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 May 2024 - 07:24 PM

Evening All,

Im currently encountering a clash between my new air filter and my bulkhead when trying to install the following.

Does anyone know if Alloy Inlet Manifolds come in different sizes to accomodate my setup:

HIF44

MED Sub Stack and Air Filter (Air Filter Clashed with Bulkhead)

Minisport Alloy Inlet measuring ~80mm from Head Face to Carb Face

Heatshield plate for HIF44

Spacer Block - Smallest i could get.

Adjustable top/bottom mounts

1990 Subframe - Carb

Ive wound out the top mount to pretty much as far as it will go to the point the exhaust is very close if not touching the floorpan. Ive tried to install the carb to manifold setup with and without the spacer, but this causes clashed with the throttle cable holder on the HIF heatshield as well as then the throttle arm on the carb clashing with the manifold.

Im running out of ideas and would rather not like to go back to a cone filter if i can as i quite like the sub stack and this will suit my engine quite nicely. 

If anyone is aware of a manifold thats either thinner than 80mm from head to carb stack, or is aware of an inlet that is angled up to in effect replicate spacing out the top mount and info would be greatly appreciated.

Last resort is somehow shifting the engine forward on the subframe to accomodate which i think is what was used on SPI engines based on info ive found on this forum.

Thanks,

Moose

Attached File  WhatsApp Image 2024-05-26 at 20.21.56.jpeg   52.21K   12 downloads

Attached File  WhatsApp Image 2024-05-26 at 20.21.59.jpeg   43.08K   10 downloads

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 26 May 2024 - 07:33 PM

Some light persuasion of the bulkhead would be my choice, it doesn't need much by the look of it. You say a 1990 onwards subframe has been used, are you 100% sure this is the case as you only get 1/2 inch forward on the 1990 onward subframes.

I have had to tweak the shape of the bulkhead to give clearance to the jet and air filter on a couple of minis. (usually 998 engines on HS series cars)

#3 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 26 May 2024 - 07:55 PM

I'd suggest using an MG Metro inlet - it's slightly shorter and holds the carb at more of an angle which gives better clearance to the bulkhead

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,040 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 26 May 2024 - 08:05 PM

Why that black spacer?

it does look like that manifold is longer than normal. It looks like it might be as long as the MG one with the spacer added. Which with that black spacer/take off you don’t really need might be the issue.

#5 Moose94

Moose94

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 May 2024 - 08:10 PM

Why that black spacer?

it does look like that manifold is longer than normal. It looks like it might be as long as the MG one with the spacer added. Which with that black spacer/take off you don’t really need might be the issue.

There needs to be the black space else the bracket that hold the throttle cable in clashes with the manifold as well as the throttle lever arm clashing when moved.

#6 Moose94

Moose94

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 May 2024 - 08:11 PM

I'd suggest using an MG Metro inlet - it's slightly shorter and holds the carb at more of an angle which gives better clearance to the bulkhead

Ill see if i can get hold of one, or get someone to measure one for me to confirm its shorter than ive got. Ill be going to the Mini and Metro show at Gaydon next weekend and will take a ruler along with me to see if i can get something shorter.

#7 tmsmini

tmsmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Local Club: MOASF

Posted 26 May 2024 - 10:12 PM

It should be shorter by 1/4 inch or so. Not sure you can tell from the photos. CAM6618

Attached Files

#8 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 06:56 AM

I have a horrible feeling it could well be the manifold that's at fault, it looks like the angle the carb sits at is too flat. I'm going to guess the next bit but I presume the air filter has some form of internal support frame to hold the foam in shape? If so can you not just cut/bend the frame so the filter fits? Not ideal but it will get you out of a hole.also you seem to have a spacer between the carb and air filter, can this be removed to give you a bit more clearance?

Shooter

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,486 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 May 2024 - 07:37 AM

....or modify, or fab a new backplate to lift it???

What's the mystery item on the end of your throttle spindle TMS?    - TPS???

#10 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 08:40 AM

I agree. I bought the minispares inlet but found that it was longer(deeper) than the MG Metro one. kept the MG Metro one with a 6mm minispares spacer.

#11 Moose94

Moose94

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 09:03 AM

It should be shorter by 1/4 inch or so. Not sure you can tell from the photos. CAM6618

The minispares inlet looks way more angled than mine from that photo, my one is pretty much inline to the head face.

The Metro inlet certainly seems to be the play though, ill look to pick one up online and see if this fits.

Thanks for the photos!

Edited by Moose94, 27 May 2024 - 09:03 AM.

#12 Moose94

Moose94

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 09:06 AM

I have a horrible feeling it could well be the manifold that's at fault, it looks like the angle the carb sits at is too flat. I'm going to guess the next bit but I presume the air filter has some form of internal support frame to hold the foam in shape? If so can you not just cut/bend the frame so the filter fits? Not ideal but it will get you out of a hole.also you seem to have a spacer between the carb and air filter, can this be removed to give you a bit more clearance?

Shooter

I think its the manifold based on others feedback.

There is a spacer between the back plate of the filter and the carb to allow clearance for the filter section to clip onto the plate, MED said some HIF's need this and others dont, the one i have does. 

As a last resort ill modify the structure in the foam to fit, just wanted to explore other hardware first as from looking at photos provided above and online i do think ive got the wrong manifold.

Edited by Moose94, 27 May 2024 - 09:15 AM.

#13 tmsmini

tmsmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Local Club: MOASF

Posted 28 May 2024 - 02:38 PM

Yes TPS for managed ignition

#14 Moose94

Moose94

Just On Tickover

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 June 2024 - 03:01 PM

Afternoon All,

Just to close this out for anyone that views this in the future as i know i look at alot of old posts on here for info!

CAM6618 is quite a bit shorter than the Minisport manifold i originally had. Its also slightly more angled which means now not only does the carb/air filter fit, i can actually cant the engine backwards from its max position forwards to give some nice clearance to the exhaust below at the LCB y piece.

The flange to the head however is a little bit thicker than the exhaust flanges on the head, so im going to have to machine some of the face back so the washers sit nice and flush to both flanges.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Issue resolved!

#15 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 06 June 2024 - 02:41 AM

Another option is making up some stepped washers to make up the difference. They are approx 4mm to adapt the Metro manifold to the modern Maniflow exhaust.

pafjglZh.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users