Photo
- - - - -

Battery not holding charge/not charging!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Gizzum

Gizzum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Local Club: None atm

Posted 24 November 2006 - 06:49 PM

Peeps,
Recently tried to sort out a engine stabiliser problem, the one that attaches to the block and to the right of the master cylinder. I forgot to put the earth strap back on the engine. Could this cause my alterantor not to charge the battery very well or is a new alternator/battery on the cards. The battery is about two months old but has been fully discharged due to a short I had. The battery got recharged over three days and seemed to be o.k. Now the battery lasts about a week. Shorter if I do a long journey. The lights seem to flicker when i am driving, not the usual brighter when at higher revs, but actual flickering. The car runs fine once started. Any ideas anybody otherwise I am going to get an XR*i alterantor and a 306 battery! But will probably due this in the future.

Help!

Thanks in advance!

Jez

#2 vasi

vasi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:26 PM

Have you measured the voltage when the engine is running?

#3 Gizzum

Gizzum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:26 PM

I haven't no, because when running i can turn on all the electrics i like with no visible drop in power. when running at night there is a slight decrease in power on the lights but nothing out of the ordinary! I have a feeling this could be the earth strap. thanks vasi for the tip. i will measure it in the morning.

Jez

#4 Aussiedave

Aussiedave

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Local Club: MOCA

Posted 25 November 2006 - 02:04 AM

hi im having the EXACt same problem except mine is worse. the car works fine during the day as long as i dont u anythign electronic but as soon as i turn the headlights they dim and dim and after about 10 mins the car actually dies while im driving. I say die as in it feels like major missfire and continues till the engine just stops so i have to switch off the light to drive at night but ive already gotten a fine from the police so i cant let it happen again. ive managed to get away without driving at night but its starting to be a pain.

ps i got a battery guy to look at it and he said the alternator was charging but he didnt know what was wrong with it (great help)

help please!

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:36 AM

hi im having the EXACt same problem except mine is worse. the car works fine during the day as long as i dont u anythign electronic but as soon as i turn the headlights they dim and dim and after about 10 mins the car actually dies while im driving. I say die as in it feels like major missfire and continues till the engine just stops so i have to switch off the light to drive at night but ive already gotten a fine from the police so i cant let it happen again. ive managed to get away without driving at night but its starting to be a pain.

ps i got a battery guy to look at it and he said the alternator was charging but he didnt know what was wrong with it (great help)

help please!

Sounds like you have an earth problem on the headlights.

#6 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes Mini Club, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:14 PM

Hi
If you have removed the earthing strap, this certainly is your problem! I had exactly the same problem with a low battery (Starter was turning real slow), but only because my earth strap needed replacing. If you think about it, the term `earth' on a car related to it being the `electrical sink' where all negative (if your car is negative earth) generally attatch to. The bodyshell, because it is stell is a naturally good conductor of electricity so it cuts down on wiring substantially!

Your generator will be earhed to the engine because it is bolted to it, but the engine must then be earthed to the body.

if you have not replaced the earthing strap, the one of the routes the earthing may take is the throttle/choke cables. if so, it is possible the high loads placed by the starter can make these weld together!

replace the earth strap immediately, the proper place, at least on an older mini is from the clutch housing to the inner right wing.
But it wouldnt hurt to add one here even if the engine is earther elsewhere.
Good Luck

#7 Gizzum

Gizzum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:55 PM

Cheers John,
Already been to Halfords and bought some big 'ol chunky wire and connectors to make one up! Will report back my findings. I was thinking about it last night in bed, and it kept me up for hours. All other connections to the chassis are isolated by mountings!! Therefore it must be the problem. Got my battery on charge again!!! So will give it a try tomorrow.

Many thanks guys

Jez

Edited by Gizzum, 25 November 2006 - 01:55 PM.

#8 vasi

vasi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 25 November 2006 - 05:34 PM

I was thinking about it last night in bed, and it kept me up for hours.

Each to their own I suppose.

#9 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:15 AM

Let us know how you get on Jez. Earthing is not a black art, just that your bodyshell must no be the broken link in the electrical circuit!

With household earthing, Earthing from a house goes into the soil "Earth". Soil is actually a conductor, but all be it a poor one and so it is a massive electrical sink where energy is widely dissipated over a big area.

In your car, the body is a direct electrical link in the circuit. The bodyshell is termed "earth" because most if not all of your negative, including your battery have their negative polarity attatching to the body and so joining the circuit.
When adding the strap, ad either dielectric grease or vaseline to the terminal ends to minimise corrosion to both the strap and body.

Let us know how it gets on.

#10 Gizzum

Gizzum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:09 PM

Update,
Finally got around to making and fixing my earth back onto the alternator. I couldn't find the original one so have made up a big ol chunky wire one. I connected it to the fixing bolt of the alternator (The one under the temp sender) and was going to connect the other end to the LHD master cylinder plate bolts (if that makes sense) but I couldn't get them off for some reason. They keep spinning, so i drilled o new hole in the plate that the ballast resistor is fitted to.

I took it out for about half an hour with everything on in the car!!! It seems to be o.k. but the battery was fully charged so will have to give it a few days yet

I will update you when/if anything goes wrong... or right :xxx:

I have also stuck in a bike computer as my speedo now. Problem is is that it isn't backlit so a few problems at night!

Can't seem to get the wheel diameter right though... I am running 12" wheels so it should be 308-9. But I put this in and, unless the mini is now powered on rocket fuel I have put the wrong value in!

#11 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:56 PM

Good
You should find that if the earthing on the car is good, then the alternator can efficiently charge the battery, unlike before when you removed the strap.

I do recommend however the earthing strap between the clutch cover retaining bolt and inner right wing. Earthing Straps are available from minispares.
But if u have the earthing problem sorted out then this hopefully sorts your charging problem.

My cooper was laid up in my garage for 3 months as I was working on it., but because the earthing is now good, the battery doesnt lose charge when driving and the strter motor turns quickly.

#12 Gizzum

Gizzum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:48 PM

All looks good now! :w00t: I have run for three days now and can tell all is well in the battery/alternator world. Now i have futher problems as i have got a water leak! But good news.... Got a call from jan allen from mini magazine today telling me I have won the starmag competition!!! Happy days :o :D 10 x 6's here we come. Just need to save up for the 12" to 10" conversion kit and some new arches. Ohhhh and a respray.

click for thread

This is my vision!

#13 Gizzum

Gizzum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:24 PM

Found my water leak. Seems the some idiot didn't tighten up a jubilee clip when he put an electric fan in! willy!

Alloys are inbound

ETA 10 - 14 days!!!!!! :'(

Also only the alloys are coming... no rubber... bugger

#14 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:56 PM

some nice yoko a032r's tho maybe not seeing as its winter!! are the falkens stil cheap??

#15 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:16 PM

As for not tightening jubilee clips................I had a tuning guy who is an expert in SU twin carb tuning clean out, balance and set my carbs......he forgot to tighten the hose to float chamber clips and I only discovered when I drove the car 10 miles and it was in my garage.

Always CHECK YERSELF!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users