#1 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:14 PM

Lo,

Right my front screen rubber has needed changing for a while and I think (well thanks to you lovely people) that its also letting water in. So had a loop on mini spares for one and found one....just .... .. it confuses me. It's this one :
http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=37347

It's the description that baffles me

Rubber seal for all Mini windshields; uses locking strip 24A1466(chrome) or 37H8052(black)..REMEMBER,YOU MUST FIT THE RUBBER TO THE BODY FIRST. DO NOT USE THE STRING METHOD BECAUSE IT STRETCHES AND TEARS THE RUBBER.There is a later wider rubber which was fitted to cars from 1991 -1996 to help stop leaks and hopefully prevent rusting,the part number is CCB10011MS.

So.....how the hell do you fit it to the car if you don't do the string thing?

also, should I even use the reg rubber or should I go for a wide rubber

Cheers.

Edited by Big_Adam, 24 November 2006 - 08:15 PM.

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:19 PM

rover or what ever they were called at the time must of changed to the wider rubber for a reason

i would go for the wider rubber unless you want the car totally original

i have always used a bit of insulated wire to fit windscreens

#3 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:25 PM

rover or what ever they were called at the time must of changed to the wider rubber for a reason

To hide the rust that forms under the seal for a little longer perhaps?

The way I did my windscreen seal, was to push the rubber seal onto the body, then with the help of an assistant for an extra pair of hands, was to place the bottom of the screen into the rubber and carefully folded the rubber over the screen along the sides and ending up at the top by using an old blunt butter knife. Then used the special tool tog the filler strip in.

#4 DannyTip

DannyTip

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Local Club: A Series Magpies

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:26 PM

They are pretty easy to fit its getting the locking strip in thats the hard bit.

Put the rubber on the body
Slot the glass into the bottom and 1 side of the rubber
Get your friend to hold it and push on it.
Work your way round i used a screwdriver but something softer might be a better idea

It should go in pretty easy.

Edit: Beaten to it :xxx:

Edited by DannyTip, 24 November 2006 - 08:27 PM.

#5 vasi

vasi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:35 PM

Modified George Foreman spatulas are a handy tool for this.

#6 Gizzum

Gizzum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Local Club: None atm

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:30 PM

Big A,
Watched the rac replace mine after this happened.

Posted Image

They put the rubber on the body. Pushed in as far as it would go (you will get some creases at the corners but don't be concerned, they will dissapear once the glass goes in). They then used window cleaner to squirt inside the channel where the glass will sit for a bit of lube! :xxx: .

They then slotted the glass into the bottom channel and worked around the edges easing the glass into the channel. I would not recommend using a screwdriver as this could quite easily chip or crack the glass. I have a plastic tool bit like a very large chunky screwdriver(I could post it to you if you like, as long as i get it back) you live a bit far away from me! once the glass was into the channel they then used a special cloth sac to whack the glas into its final position. They said you could use a bag of the broken windscreen bits that I had left over. Something that's got a bit of weight behind it but also somethig that will spread out on impact to spread the load. After that they used a non setting sealant and squirted it in every concevable channel to properly seal it all from leaks! The end result...

Posted Image

The chrome insert was put in using the special filleting tool, oyu can get these from minispares. Again with lots of window cleaner.

Hope this helps?

If you need the tool then pm me and I will stick it in the post on monday!

Jez

Edited by Gizzum, 24 November 2006 - 11:31 PM.

#7 pinch

pinch

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:21 AM

the wide rubber should help stop leaks, but i thinkit holds more water underneath, and just hides the rust bubbles a bit longer!! i always put sealer between the rubber and body. once it dry, any excess just peels off. i prefer the narrow rubbers, as they actually fit into the recess on the body, whereas the wide ones fit on top of it and it's harder to get them fitting flush, if this makes sense.

Edited by pinch, 25 November 2006 - 10:21 AM.

#8 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:29 PM

whats a good sealer then for window rubbers?

Think I'll order this later in the week, need a few bits and bobs from mini spares again. My fan seems to have lost a blade so I'll sort that.

#9 pinch

pinch

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:14 PM

i use clear windscreen sealer, from my local motor factors. i think it's just clear silicone, just in a small tube with a small nozzle. cost a fiver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users