Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Oil Pressure Light Flickering


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eddywestby1275

eddywestby1275

    Passed Test

  • Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Location: Lancashire

Posted 10 July 2026 - 08:25 AM

Answers on a post card as to why my needy madam of a A+ 998 Mk4 decided to make last night’s journey home needlessly stressful.

Oil pressure light started flickering shortly after setting off, only to then stop. Started again later on and I realised that it was flickering with bumps in the road. Put the offside wheels onto the catseyes and the light flickered with every one.

Stopped to jiggle the wiring to the switch, worked out it extinguishes if unplugged (GREAT), but after that, I couldn’t get the light to flicker again. Acted normally.

Entirely unrelated to engine revs and load. Engine has oil in it. Before going down the rabbit hole of relief valves, oil pumps, etc. has anyone seen this exact symptom before? A friend is lending me his pressure gauge so I can see what it’s really doing, but that won’t be for a few days yet.

#2 Spider

Spider

    Moved Into The Garage

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,865 posts
  • Location: NSW
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 10 July 2026 - 09:04 AM

Could just be the switch itself.

Put a test gauge in it so you can see what's going on and go from there.



#3 eddywestby1275

eddywestby1275

    Passed Test

  • Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Location: Lancashire

Posted 10 July 2026 - 09:23 AM

Could just be the switch itself.

Put a test gauge in it so you can see what's going on and go from there.


Yeah, the switch is the first guess I’d have as well. A friend is lending me his gauge so I can see what it’s really doing. Thought I’d ask anyway though just in case anyone’s seen the same symptom before.

#4 cal844

cal844

    Crazy About Mini's

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,734 posts
  • Location: Ballingry, Fife
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 10 July 2026 - 10:39 AM

My switch done that for a mile before it failed, then engine had oil in it so ran it home (roughly 3 miles) I tested the pressure with a mechanical guage a friend had. Fitted new switch and cleaned the wiring up, all is fine

#5 lsto

lsto

    One Carb Or Two?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Location: Essex

Posted 10 July 2026 - 09:44 PM

Hi Edd,(twincam?) love your Chanel. Change the sensor, it's probably old and failing, I see the same issue on vehicles at work. You'll probably find your oil pressure will be fine and nothing to worry about.
I used the mini spares oil on my daily and it's fine. If you test your oil pressure do it hot and cold and post the results.
Good luck

#6 tarnofsky

tarnofsky

    On The Road

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Location: Bavaria

Posted 03 October 2026 - 07:21 PM

I'd put my money on a faulty switch and/or a corroded connector to the switch. Changing the switch is easy, low cost item, too.

Would change that first and clean up the connector very thoroughly with contact cleaner and a fine wired brass brush. 

 

If you're seeing the pressure light after changing the switch and with a clean contact, try the pressure regulator: undo the screw and check the spring and ball inside. They can get stuck sometime or even break. Minispares has standard, uprated and adjustable variants. Low cost, too. 






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users