Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Slow Cranking With Clutch Depressed


  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Aridgerunner

Aridgerunner

    Mini Mad

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Location: Montoursville PA
  • Local Club: None

Posted 15 September 2026 - 11:32 AM

I have been doing short drives (less than a mile) recently, mostly just to have a little fun until I get the car into the upholstery shop for the headliner. So driving it without windows is maybe a little on the illegal side? But we live out in the sticks.

The car has always started easily and idles smoothly at 900 RPM. The engine is bored .060" with shallow dish pistons and evo 002 cam and 1.5 roller rockers. Cylinder pressure is 200.

Yesterday it was time to load it on the trailer to go to the upholstery shop. I warmed the engine up before the trailer arrived then shut it off for a few minutes while waiting. Then, in my excitement I tried to start it with the clutch pedal depressed. It acted like the battery was nearly dead. When I realized what I was doing I let up on the pedal and fired right up.

Do I have a problem?

#2 coopertaz

coopertaz

    One Carb Or Two?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Location: west yorkshire
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 15 September 2026 - 11:44 AM

do the revs drop at all if clutch is pressed when engine idling?



#3 Aridgerunner

Aridgerunner

    Mini Mad

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Location: Montoursville PA
  • Local Club: None

Posted 15 September 2026 - 12:09 PM

Yes. But it doesn't stall. Just slows down.

#4 Aridgerunner

Aridgerunner

    Mini Mad

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Location: Montoursville PA
  • Local Club: None

Posted 15 September 2026 - 12:46 PM

I forgot to mention that the flywheel is a Mini Spares light weight. And so is the pressure plate. The clutch disc is new and so is the diaphragm and the plunger and the bearing and the clutch arm.

#5 68+86auto

68+86auto

    One Carb Or Two?

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 15 September 2026 - 11:35 PM

Sounds like worn crankshaft thrust washers to me. Quite common due to people pressing the clutch when starting.

 

I've seen videos where the play can often be seen at the crank pulley.



#6 Aridgerunner

Aridgerunner

    Mini Mad

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Location: Montoursville PA
  • Local Club: None

Posted 16 September 2026 - 01:23 AM

I guess we'll have to remember not to depress the clutch pedal when starting the car. Thanks for the help.

#7 68+86auto

68+86auto

    One Carb Or Two?

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 16 September 2026 - 02:08 AM

I guess we'll have to remember not to depress the clutch pedal when starting the car. Thanks for the help.

 

It really means an engine rebuild is required.



#8 gav

gav

    One Carb Or Two?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 16 September 2026 - 07:49 AM

Check primary gear end float, had a customer with the same problem a few weeks back. Ideally use 2 feeler gauges so the gear doesn't rock and throw off the reading.



#9 Ethel

Ethel

    ..is NOT a girl!

  • TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,795 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 September 2026 - 09:31 AM

Are your throw out stop nuts correctly adjusted? The lightweight goodies will be lacking a bit of inertia & depressing the clutch will remove a bit more.

 

Is it Verto or PreVerto (diaphragm)? How the latter is set up can make a big difference.



#10 Aridgerunner

Aridgerunner

    Mini Mad

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Location: Montoursville PA
  • Local Club: None

Posted 16 September 2026 - 11:19 AM

It's PreVerto. What would be difference in set up with the lightweight goodies? I followed the instructions in the manual for the adjustments.

When assembling the engine I verified that that crankshaft end play was correct. The engine now has about a total of one hour run time. Most of that has been in the garage setting it up.

The car will be coming back from the upholstery shop later today. I will check the adjustments then.

#11 Ethel

Ethel

    ..is NOT a girl!

  • TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,795 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 September 2026 - 01:25 PM

It will carry less inertia to compress the next cylinder to fire. The exhaust valve of the cylinder doing the pushing will already be open as the  next approaches TDC & maximum compression. That will also have an effect on the ignition  timing because the engine fires before top dead centre and relies on inertia to carry it past TDC so the power stroke starts pushing the piston with the engine rotation instead of against it. You could try disconnecting the vacuum advance (assuming you have it) to see if it improves the idle. Block the pipe to the carb for thoroughness, but it shouldn't make much difference. You'll still want to run with vac advance, but it will be useful info if it does idle better.

 

As for the clutch,

 

As the diaphragm flattens more of the spring tension is held inside it. If you got it perfectly flat all the tension would be internal, like a ball balanced on top of a dome, but the slightest nudge would make it fall. You can set the clutch up so it's just short of the "top of the dome" when it releases its grip on the friction plate*. To do so you'd either have to add shims between backplate & pressure plate, or (as may be likely with lightweight clutch supplied for tuning) machine down the backplate horns to get it just so.

 

* which will also give you the maximum clamping force when the clutch is released.



#12 pete l

pete l

    Camshaft & Stage Two Head

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Location: East of France

Posted 16 September 2026 - 01:42 PM

https://www.theminif...ustment-issues/



#13 Spider

Spider

    Moved Into The Garage

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,850 posts
  • Location: NSW
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 16 September 2026 - 06:02 PM

 

I guess we'll have to remember not to depress the clutch pedal when starting the car. Thanks for the help.

 

It really means an engine rebuild is required.

 

 

I'm inclined to think there maybe an issue, as 68+86 has pointed out.

You should never start these engines with the clutch depressed. Doing this loads up the Crank Thrusts Bearings, which with the engine not running, have no lubrication on them. This is the same for any car, not just Minis. I am aware that modern cars require that the clutch be depressed to be able to start them, but they have teflon thrust bearings to cope with this situation, Minis, do not. I only recently had to replace a crank, primary gear and clutch plate in a Moke from the owner starting his Moke in this way.

 

Given your engine is new, it may also be that the Crank Thrusts has been fitted back to front, with the steel side to the crank, offering no bearing surface what so ever to the crank, they tend to bite rather than slide when like this.

You can check the Crank End Float with the engine installed, it may give you a guide as to an issue here, but, at this early stage, it may not. If it has increased at all over what it was when the build was done, then you can be sure, there is an issue here.



#14 Aridgerunner

Aridgerunner

    Mini Mad

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Location: Montoursville PA
  • Local Club: None

Posted 18 September 2026 - 07:55 PM

I feel stupid. The problem was a weak battery. After letting it on a charger/maintainer over night there is no problem. And as for the drop in RPM at idle with the clutch depressed that is a drop of 100 from an idle 1000. I don't think that indicates a problem. If I'm wrong please let me know.

Once again, thanks!

#15 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

    Up Into Fourth

  • Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts
  • Location: Aberdeenshire
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 19 September 2026 - 10:52 AM

I would also check the earth strap is good connection




3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users


    Chris1275gt