Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Mini & Metro Verto Clutch Mechs


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 traineecollins

traineecollins

    Learner Driver

  • Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:53 PM

Hi all,

I own a 1988 MG Metro and recently had my engine and gearbox rebuilt.

As part of this, a MED Verto lightened flywheel, clutch, plunger and arm were fitted.

This system is intended for use on a Mini, that uses a hydraulic accuated clutch. However, my Metro has a cable.

I have contacted MED who advise (unsurprisingly) that their much shorter Verto hydraulic clutch arm is not suitable for with Metro cable. (I had my own doubts about the higher pivotal force due to shorter arm, and also the heavier clutch straining the NOS Unipart cable).

I have spoken with a fabricator about producing a CNC’d clutch arm, to match the MED arm’s new stronger plunger knuckle, but match the OEM shape and length for the cable end.

I am muddled in my mind as to whether or not this would work, as the Mini set up is a push actuation from the slave cylinder, where as the Metro is pull, from the cable.

If I fit a custom made arm to match the MED plunger, would the pull actuation work ok, or can anyone forsee a problem?

Unfortunately I am in too deep cost and mechanical wise to revert to original set up. Plus I like the upgraded spec.

Appreciate any advice

#2 Piero

Piero

    Just On Tickover

  • Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Location: italia

Posted Today, 07:23 AM

I don't know if this will be useful to you, but some time ago I ran a test out of curiosity: on a Verto clutch, I used the release arm—trying both the straight PreVerto version and the curved Metro one—actuated by the hydraulic slave cylinder mounted on the gearbox. The result wasn't satisfactory; the clutch engaged, but not fully enough to allow for gear shifting. I conclude that the Verto mechanism requires a different type of release arm—specifically, the original one—to operate correctly.


Edited by Piero, Today, 07:29 AM.


#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

    Moved Into The Garage

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,060 posts
  • Location: Not Yorkshire
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted Today, 09:17 AM

Just fit the Mini verto arm. The insides are the same.






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users