Jump to content


Photo

Advice Sought On Updating Ice In Mk1


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 beardylondon

beardylondon

    Camshaft & Stage Two Head

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • Location: Hampshire

Posted Today, 08:11 AM

I’ve always been cautious about over installing ICE, and spoiling the look, but I’m older now and think why not, my car isn’t concours and I just want a decent system.

I currently have a Retrosound headunit I’ve had ages, and bought for looks not features, as I didn’t get Bluetooth at the time, as was more expensive! I have since added a separate Bluetooth receiver, which is a pain and needs manually restarting/connecting every time I enter the car.

There are 2 x 25-year-old Pioneer 17cm 3 way speakers in the rear parcel shelf.

So what I’m looking for is a retro head unit which can handle more speakers and with a quick and painless Bluetooth connection.

I was thinking of possibly adding 6x9s under rear seats and maybe tweeters under front parcel shelf, maybe even a small amp?

I don’t want to go nuts cost wise, maybe a few hundred.

I’ve done some research and found some suggestions, but all advice greatly appreciated.

Edited by beardylondon, Today, 08:26 AM.


#2 slidehammer

slidehammer

    One Carb Or Two?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Location: Surrey
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted Today, 12:12 PM

What about a more modern Retrosound headunit? as they have bluetooth and usb conectability and still look fairly fitting with the age of the vehicle. 

If I was honest with the amount of noise a Mini makes at any speed good sound is very hard to achieve without lots of volume to drown the car out. 

I upgraded the headunit and speakers on my MGTF and it sounds brilliant on the drive or stopped in traffic but once you get moving wind noise robs alot of the frequencies away.



#3 beardylondon

beardylondon

    Camshaft & Stage Two Head

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • Location: Hampshire

Posted Today, 12:42 PM

New retro sound are very expensive for not a lot more!

#4 beardylondon

beardylondon

    Camshaft & Stage Two Head

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • Location: Hampshire

Posted Today, 12:46 PM

This might be ok

https://amzn.eu/d/0hDOPYT5

And it’s £33 on Ali express!

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EyMSbyS

One of the reviews says no need for an amp.

Just need to work out what speakers now!

Edited by beardylondon, Today, 12:55 PM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users