Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Vin Number And Paint Code


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chrism66

Chrism66

    Starting My Mini Up

  • Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Location: Selby

Posted Today, 09:47 AM

Good morning all, I am restoring my 1964 Mini and was hoping to keep to the original colour. Having scrubbed down several layers from a hand painted dark blue down to maybe Surf Blue or similar, I decided to check for paint codes. I believe They do not exist on cars that age and if they did, mine has certaily been removed or lost.

What I did find was a homemade plate with the chassis number on but also a plate that looked more original sat in the radiator cowl. I have tried searching the internet for such plates in that location but came up with nothing.

The code is FE647764

Any ideas greatly accepted.

BR Chris

 

 

 



#2 beardylondon

beardylondon

    Camshaft & Stage Two Head

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts
  • Location: Hampshire

Posted Today, 10:40 AM

You're right, they didn't print paint codes on chassis plates until much later, the FE number doesn't relate to paint colour.

 

However if you supply the Chassis number and FE number to BMH, they can check factory records and you can pay for a Heritage Certificate:

 

https://www.britishm...ge-certificates

 

 

 

Good morning all, I am restoring my 1964 Mini and was hoping to keep to the original colour. Having scrubbed down several layers from a hand painted dark blue down to maybe Surf Blue or similar, I decided to check for paint codes. I believe They do not exist on cars that age and if they did, mine has certaily been removed or lost.

What I did find was a homemade plate with the chassis number on but also a plate that looked more original sat in the radiator cowl. I have tried searching the internet for such plates in that location but came up with nothing.

The code is FE647764

Any ideas greatly accepted.

BR Chris


Edited by beardylondon, Today, 03:08 PM.


#3 62S

62S

    One Carb Or Two?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted Today, 02:21 PM

The FE number is the FE number it is not the body number.

 

If it is an early 1964 car (which is what the Fe number indicates) and blue it will be Surf Blue.



#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

    Moved Into The Garage

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted Today, 03:00 PM

Mini Colours:-

http://www.mini-colo...urs.php?m=1&b=1

 

BU35 - Surf Blue
    
BLVC1293 - Surf Blue (JEN)

 

If the paint codes in the link above don't help, you could take the car or a panel with a sample of the original Blue colour to a supplier or local car paintshop with a spectrophotometer. They can then scan the colour composition and based on this measurement, they can mix the exact colour formula needed to ensure the new paint matches the scanned sample perfectly.

 

For reference the FE number (Front End number) is a factory body panel or sub-assembly number only, sometimes it can be used to find the approx factory date of a bodyshell.

 


Edited by mab01uk, Today, 03:50 PM.


#5 beardylondon

beardylondon

    Camshaft & Stage Two Head

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts
  • Location: Hampshire

Posted Today, 03:10 PM

It 100% won't be BLVC1293 - Surf Blue (JEN)

 

It will be BU35, as that is the 60s Surf Blue (what I painted my car), BLVC1293 is incorrect for 1964 and a Rover 1990s colour. 

 

Mini Colours:-

http://www.mini-colo...urs.php?m=1&b=1

 

BU35 - Surf Blue
    
BLVC1293 - Surf Blue (JEN)

 

If the paint codes in the link above don't help, you could take the car or a panel with a sample of the original Blue colour to a supplier or local car paintshop with a spectrophotometer. They can then scan the colour composition and based on this measurement, they can mix the exact colour formula needed to ensure the new paint matches the scanned sample perfectly.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


    sonscar