Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Wont Go! Just Grinding Whirring Noise.


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 marcus550

marcus550

    Starting My Mini Up

  • Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Location: North Carolina

Posted Today, 11:15 AM

I hit an expansion joint on the road, maybe 25mm high? Suddenly my 1992 Mini Mayfair ground to a halt, making whirring vibrating noises. I pulled over. Tried to go and it will creep, but any torque needed and it stops moving and makes grinding whirring noises. I thought I spun a CV, so pulled both drive shafts and rebuilt them. One pot joint looked mangled, so I thought - yes! Found it. No...it still does the same thing. Can something in the clutch fail like this? Or is it more dire?



#2 Spider

Spider

    Moved Into The Garage

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,865 posts
  • Location: NSW
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted Today, 04:03 PM

Hi and Welcome to the forum, though I won't make you happy here I'm sorry.

 

The first thing that comes to mind here is a broken diff. It would not have just happened from hitting that in the road, they do wear fairly quick in these cars and that would have been the last straw for it.

If you jack up the front end, you might get a feel for it by rotation the front wheels by hand, though ideally, if you disconnect the drive shafts and spin the pot joints from under by hand, you'll be able to get a better feel for it.






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users